my wye

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
St.John
Tench

my wye

Post by St.John »

Yes. It is my wye in case you didn't know. I've fished the wye since the age of 6, so 21 years, and I still find it exciting, challenging and rewarding to fish. Each year it gets better and better, and it could continue improving despite being raped in the summer by quick set-up canoe hire companies. One of my wishes in life is to see the wye as, once again, being the premier salmon river in England, and after seeing the amount of silver tourists I have this year it is well on its way. It's taken me 21 years to fish the few bit I have, but I'm always spoilt for choice when starting the car for a days fishing. I bailiff a stretch that I love, but sadly it is getting too well known. The wye has given me chub to 6lb 6oz, barbel to over 11lb, trout of 2lb, grayling of over 2lb, amazing specimen dace. I don't really pike fish, but have seen pike the size of crocodiles within its depths. The barbel are stunning. Lean, fit fighting machines...not like the over weight, pudgy royalty fish (!). The wye fish have no excess weight. The thing I am longing for is exploring the upper reaches next summer. There are miles of natural, untouched water just waiting for me to fish...
I started fishing pin on the wye three years ago, and found it challengeing due to the length of cast you need to achieve in alot of situations. So I made the decision that if it limited my angling, I wouldn't use it. After a year of birds nests, snap offs and swearing I can now cast pretty Damn near where ever I need to with a wallis cast. From using pins came my love of split cane rods and trad methods..... And here a am. St
Last edited by St.John on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: my wye

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Wonderful st, sounds like you really have found equilibrium, that wonderful balance between enjoying your angling, using the methods you love to use and giving a little back through your bailiff work with the added bonus of a little pioneering.

perhaps you could show me around for a day when I'm in the area next? redmire weeks usually end on a friday leaving the rest of the weekend to play. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Sounds good. Let me know. When you on't pond? It's only over the road from mine, i'll pop in and say howdy!!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

At present I have no further plans for the pool. I was hoping to get a weekend in through the winter but, in reality, will more than likely wait until "phone wars" and try for another summer date, fingers crossed on that one!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Maybe get on the same week next year if poss. Bloody phone wars.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

That would be excellent mate, I'm up for getting together as I have no plans as yet of who I will be sharing the pool with, more people phoning the more likely to get a decent date. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

We'll give it a go, but my hopes are never really up!! It's worse than glastonbury....

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Incidentally, chubbing on the wye in Autumn is sublime.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

st.john wrote:Incidentally, chubbing on the wye in Autumn is sublime.
Chubbing on the Wye:
CY told me a story a few years ago about a friend of his who fished the upper Wye for chub and waded in a pair of chest waders to be able to cast to the desired spot. He promptly caught the Mother of all chub - a true giant but he did not have scales nor a camera so he unhooked it in the water and watched it swim away. The same day he had 3 huge chub, larger than anything he had seen before but was unable to weigh any of them. The next day he returned to the spot with a set of scales but only caught a relatively small chub in comparison to the three he took the previous day. This fish weighed more than 7lbs!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Wondeful Mr Snape, I do believe you told me the same when we were at the Redmire Work Party last year.....
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Return to “River Wye”