New years day ..Wild River....the Wye with Ray Mears

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: New years day ..Wild River....the Wye with Ray Mears

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks very much for sharing that Robbi, I enjoyed following that and by studying the hills as Ray came down the Wye I was able to determine where he was. I found many a lamprey nest in my youth in the Wye and the Ithon, I've seen as many as 40 young lamprey clinging to a rock whilst I've been wading in the river.

Incidently, at the start of the programme Ray wasn't a million miles from Pant-y-Llyn, only a couple of miles or so over the hills. Also, somewhere on the internet you'll find John Wilson and Martin Bowler fishing for Barbel at a place called Boughrood which is reached if you turn off by Llyswen (where Chris Yates used to fish a place called the Dderw) I have a letter from him talking to me about this place he called the "Magic Pool".

A little bit further downstream near Rhayader is where you'd find LlynGwyn (Which most people know about) Chris Yates visitted LlynGywn on the same morning of the day he vissited Redmire pool for the first time which meant he never did get to fish it. He told me that when he found out about LlynGywn the chap he'd asked at a pub in Builth Wells told him a story of a four foot long carp in LlynGwyn which had been seen by divers. CY loves a good story.

I'll put in a link to the full length programme, I watched your link Robbi and it was only a short one.
https://youtu.be/yhba0gmHFv4

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Kingfisher wrote:
I'll put in a link to the full length programme, I watched your link Robbi and it was only a short one.
Hi Matt,
Your link is to a different programme than Robbi's original post, Robbi's was on ITV last night.

I too really love Ray Mears, what's there not to like about the guy? I think some hardcore bush crafters are less keen on him for whatever reason.

I once saw an episode in which he made it clear he is or was opposed to catch and release, he described it as 'playing with them then letting them go'....

Either way last nights show was very enjoyable as all Rays shows are...

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Bigger, totally forgot about it, it should be available on the ITV I player I would of thought? I was lucky enough to get a ticket to his new "evening with" show for Christmas :Thumb:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Enjoyed this, as always with Ray Mears. I've not fished any of the Wye but I have spent many happy hours riding my bike in the Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains. Interesting to see the river from a different perspective. Following it by boat gives a totally different view to that gained from bankside roads and bridges. Interesting to see Rhayader and Builth Wells, which are reasonably sized towns looking very rural from the river.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

It can be watched re-live here.
http://www.itv.com/hub/wild-river-with-ray-mears

Sadly not from out of the UK :hairpull: :rant: :Thumbsdown::
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Scott wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:
Hi Matt,
Your link is to a different programme than Robbi's original post, Robbi's was on ITV last night.

I too really love Ray Mears, what's there not to like about the guy? I think some hardcore bush crafters are less keen on him for whatever reason.

I once saw an episode in which he made it clear he is or was opposed to catch and release, he described it as 'playing with them then letting them go'....

Either way last nights show was very enjoyable as all Rays shows are...

Thanks Scott, I see what you mean now. There's me talking about Lamprey in my post and people must have been wondering what on earth I was on about. Still at least we have another programme of his to watch.

Sorry Robbi my mistake. :Hat:

Thanks for the link Oldtackle. I missed it though and searched google for it, now I've just seen your link. nevermind, one day I'll wake up.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Watched Wild River Very enjoyable. Was a bit dissapointed that it was such a short film about a fairly long river.
I think it missed a few nice location out.
Still must not complain we get too few films like this on the box as it is!!
More Please.
Dave@ Hastings

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I hope we don't get a summer of Ray followers camping willy nilly down the river. When Matt Hayes did a series about canoeing down the Wye in one of the weeklies and there followed a summer with loads of imitators canoeing and fishing wherever they felt like it..... I had to be quite firm with a few of them :whistle:

I knew this film was in the offing as he canoed through my local section when someone was trotting a shallow section. Following Ray was a boat with a camera set up on the bow filming him as he went. The angler, fishing a deep gully on the left hand bank, asked that they pass on his right. Ray's canoe went through without a problem but the second boat dug into the gravel and the rather expensive camera toppled straight into the drink :Chuckle: No mention of that in the film I noticed :Hahaha:

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Just watched both back to back. Thanks for the links!

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Thanks for sharing.

Return to “River Wye”