Enbourne - Kennet tributary

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
MGs
Pike

Enbourne - Kennet tributary

Post by MGs »

Rather than start a new section, I thought I would post this here (close enough). I am reading Bernard Venables memoirs and this place gets a mention. Which got me thinking. A good few years ago, when I was a member of Bath Road Piscatorial Society, they had a stretch of the River Enbourne, no longer on their books. It is so long ago that I can't exactly remember where it was, but I think it was around Wasing. A lovely little stream, overgrown and almost unfished, certainly by the other members. In fact I never saw another sole there, fishing or otherwise. Is this stretch still fishable for coarse fish? It would certainly make a good venue for a forum day out, fishing as it used to be....unless someone has wrecked it.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Enbourne - Kennet tributary

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

The Enbourne is indeed very close to the Wasing Estate. A friend has a ticket on there but I don't think he has fished the Enbourne itself. It certainly looks pretty small and shallow, but then the Kennet is currently in a coma due to lack of rain and increased abstraction to supply water to Swindon.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

It was pretty shallow in places when I fished it but back then it held some huge chub

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I used to be in the Wasing syndicate back in the 90s and fished the Enbourne a few times but neither caught nor saw anything amazing but it might be a nice spot for a trip.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Last time I was there I had one bite all day and hooked a chub which was well in excess of 6lb.....needless to say, I lost it. The stretch I used to fish was definitely a roving water. Half an hour or so, then on to the next swim.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MGs wrote:Last time I was there I had one bite all day and hooked a chub which was well in excess of 6lb.....needless to say, I lost it. The stretch I used to fish was definitely a roving water. Half an hour or so, then on to the next swim.
Ok, now I'm definitely on for a trip :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not sure what the fish stocks are like these days, my last trip was probably more than ten years ago

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

It me down as well guys if we are doing a group trip. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

It was the sort of river where I never minded a blank. One part of the stretch was bounded by a level field, overhung with trees and had beds of lilies (upstream of a stone bridge). The other (downstream) part had a small weir come sluice which looked great but never seemed to have any fish in it, further downstream the river was cut between steep banks overhung with trees. Perfect for dozing on a summer day. I never fished there in the winter, when I presume the water would have been deeper.

Return to “River Kennet”