Ashlea

This forum belongs to Ashlea Pool.
Snape
Bailiff

Ashlea

Post by Snape »

Is this forum meant to be Ashlea pool rather than Ashley pool? Or is it a pool I'm not aware of?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Ashlea

Post by Mark »

I would like to say that it was a typing error Snape, but as the 'a' is a few keys away from the 'y'…. :oops:

Well spotted Snape, I'm glad your paying attention. :wink:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Top marks for Snape......

Where we going to hide the next one then Mark??? :tongue:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

What a wonderful read the Hiltonangling topic is, even though I don't carp fish anymore it gives me that buzz of going again, sadly I don't think it will ever happen but thanks for posting such a wonderful story, it really helps you see just what a man Tom Mintram was and how the Ashlea pool time led him to pretty much do the same at Redmire.
Thanks again Snape, a great read
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I think the Ashlea sections in Hilton's "Quest for Carp" are among the most engaging, and I suppose that's down to Hilton "living the dream," - gaining access to a small, unknown water with huge fish - perhaps to beat the record of the day. Imagine his excitement - especially with those sightings of monster carp among the lilies! He designed his own rod for the purpose, of course, the Ten-Ten - a carbon version of which has been marketed recently by Hilton Angling. I've always fancied that rod, because it's said to have a flicky top with huge reserves of power further down - I suppose a kind of cross between a MK IV and a MK IV SU...?

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Very nice articles on Ashlea, Snape. I very much enjoyed the Hilton one and was quite touched by Mike Willmott's account of the demise of the pools elder brethren.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

GooseQuill

Post by GooseQuill »

I remember reading about Ashlea in Quest for Carp and was simply blown away by the pictures painted by Jack Hiltons words. What an amazing time it must have been for waters like these to be "discovered".....are there still any secret lakes out there waiting for such discovery?

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Another water destroyed by otters. I was sickened when Dave Gawthorn showed me the pictures of the legendary 'known fish' killed for just a couple of mouth fulls of flesh.

GooseQuill

Post by GooseQuill »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Another water destroyed by otters. I was sickened when Dave Gawthorn showed me the pictures of the legendary 'known fish' killed for just a couple of mouth fulls of flesh.
That sounds horrific. I guess that has finished the fishing there forever.......

Return to “Ashlea Pool”