Location of Bearton pond?

This forum belongs to Bearton Pond.
Gurn
Chub

Re: Location of Bearton pond?

Post by Gurn »

Will see what I can do gentlemen......but it may take some time.

Julian W

Post by Julian W »

Sorry, I've arrived late to these discussions.

For years I lived about half a mile up the road from Bearton pond and was also unaware of its existence. It wasn't until my car broke down and I had to get the bus that I could see over the high wall. It's quite a nice little pond really, but the location - on a busy junction, opposite a not great pub etc - could be better. I'm afraid it might not live up to expectations. It is just round the corner from Bearton Rd, where RW used to live.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Thanks Julian.
We removed the original post showing where it was as it didn't seem to be published elsewhere.
Do you think it is still fished?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian W

Post by Julian W »

I know there 'No fishing' signs up, so maybe unofficially (unofishaly?). The gardens that back on to it have boats moored there. If anyone really wants to see it, get the double decker from Hitchin to Bedford! Oh and don't forget to sit on the top deck.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Thanks for the information, it sheds a whole new light on things. Still sounds like a nice place to fish, you are a lucky man to have it to yourself. Will have to look in to the location of Oughton pond now.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Hi Dannybo welcome to the forum. :hat: You are in a privileged position - well done. :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

dannyboy wrote:I was told of the Oughton pond story by Chris Ball. I have tried to find it myself and can only think that it is the pond situated next to bowmans flour mill.

Dear Danny Boy and Snape, if my memory serves me correctly, it was drained in Walker's day, because local mothers were worried that children might drown. I've even seen a picture somewhere, which shows Walker "supervising" the pumping out operation... It must have been a bitter-sweet experience for him, all considered.
It's interesting that Bearton can clearly support doubles but nothing more. It was so in Walker's day - his best was 16lb 5oz from there; but we all know what a significant pond that is. I wonder if there are any descendants of the Walker fish left, by the way?
It was at Bearton that Walker and Thomas developed the margin crust technique, I believe, and where BB caught his very first double. Historic stuff! :D
Last edited by Gary Bills on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I've had a quick rummage and found this passage, in the Rickards biography of Walker..it's from the chapter "A personal perspective by Pat Marston Walker". She writes:
"..Richard was given a book called "The Fisherman's Bedside Book" by BB, and in this book BB expresses particular interest in carp and reveals his ambition to catch one over ten pounds... They went and fished Richard's then favourite method of margin fishing, with floating crust at Bearton Pond, and Denys (BB) caught five carp, one of which was over the magical figure, 10lb 2oz..."

KevClifford
Minnow

Post by KevClifford »

FairliesBirthday,
Bearton Pond wasn't drained - that was Oughton pond, also at Hitchin. The latter was where Dick and Pete T. put Pete's 28-pounder from Redmire Pool, but it sadly died later. Dick put a few small carp and tench in Oughton and got some of them back when it was drained and filled in.

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

I have an idea that even when Dick Walker and Pete Thomas (or Thosmas as Dick called him) fished the lake, they did so on an "unofficial" basis. I first caught a glimpse of it in the late fifties and it had a high fence which hadn't been recently erected around it then. I think I was with Dick the last time I tried to peep through the fence during the 1960s. We had walked round to a nearby off licence to buy some beer. I guess that Pete could give details, but I don't think he is particularly interested in talking about those days - he has alway kept to himself to a degree.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Return to “Bearton Pond”