A Living Legend.....Bob Buteux

This forum belongs to Bob Butuex.
GhyllManor
Grayling

Re: A Living Legend.....

Post by GhyllManor »

Davyr wrote:I've never heard his surname pronounced out loud: Boo-toe? But-too? Botox? Buttocks? Somebody must know!
I seem to recall that Len Arbury indicated that it was as in four by two (4x2)

Legendary angler, words will not do justice.

Ted

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Re: A Living Legend.....Bob Buteux

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Bob Buteux's surname is pronounced 'Ber-too'.

Incidentally, Bob is now no less than 86. He was up before dawn today so as to be in his favourite tench swim prior to daybreak, his one bite produced a 9lb plus tench!

Only hope I'll still be as keen when I'm 86!

Besties,

Len.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Blimey Len, well done Bob. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Considered a picture of Bob Buteux wouldn't go amiss here.

Taken at his home this is my most recent photo of Bob; it shows L - R Bob, me, and Dave Short.

Incidentally, a little further background information: My big-fish career in partnership with Dave Short began circa 1960, then, shortly afterwards, forming a foursome with Bob and Bill Quinlan. What a great honour and privilege to have shared such company!

Besties,

Len.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Great picture Len - imagine the shared knowledge between the three of you.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I have had the good fortune of meeting Bob on a few occasions, a regular at the carp shows Bob can be found selling old books from his stand and is always willing to share a few stories. Be sure to visit him and have a natter next time your there, you’ll be glad you did.
I used to be a member of the chub study group and it was Bob who is the Vice President of the group that got me a pass into the group, nice fella is Bob, a few years back I was fishing at my club water at kings weir on the river lea, I've fished there now on and off for about 28 years for the huge chub :Wink:

This is where I first met Bob as at the time he had a very good chub on and could see that he was in difficulty :Beg:
The fish had snagged him, so I got bobs net and used it to carefully prod about in the snag in front of where the fish had entered and with a bit of luck the fish came out,

Bob was specifically targeting the chub doing what he does best and that is touch ledgering, he had to be careful as he was on 4lb line, eventually Bob guided the fish towards his net where I netted it for him, after careful weighing the fish registered at 7lb 4oz on his brass salter scales :Thumb:
Bob was over whelmed to say the least, the gear Bob used was a custom built glass fly blank that he deliberately had made up with a full cork handle for his chub fishing and that I believe he had made up in the 50's in a shop I also believe to be around Edmonton north London, which could have possibly been dons of Edmonton.

He also used a small Mitchell possibly a 204,5 or 6 .

A couple of weeks had now gone buy and I phoned Bob for a general chat and to enquirer about his book called: full circle, it's a very good read about bobs full life history of fishing on the lea valley.

With this conversation Bob invited me up to his house for the day where I had dinner and spent the day in his study amongst probably in excess of about several hundred quality fishing books or more , I purchased a copy of bobs book and also gave me some photos of some of his big chub catchies from the lea ,

This is where I properly learnt how to touch ledger and seeming that Bob is probably one of the best touch ledger anglers in the country I certainly felt impressed and confident in what I was being taught. :dance2:

All in all I've had a couple of decent days with who is regarded as one of Britains best chub ledgends :Hat:

Stuart
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart Whiting

Re: A Living Legend.....

Post by Stuart Whiting »

DaceAce wrote:Bob about to land a 2lb perch from the Royalty when he came down for his 80th birthday trip.
Bob IMG_6252.jpg

Quality :Hat: and still using his 50's customised glass blank

Stuart

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i loved his book fishing the famous great stories true living legend

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Mario wrote:i loved his book fishing the famous great stories true living legend
:Hat:

Stuart

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nice memories Stuart.

Return to “Bob Buteux”