Thames Trout - do they still exist ?

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
BobTheFloat
Arctic Char
Location: Over there that's me waving! I like your hat is it lined?

Re: Thames Trout - do they still exist ?

Post by BobTheFloat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:16 pm

I talk to anglers around the Hampton court area where the Mole and ember enter each season and often hear of sea trout being caught. I've never had one myself though
Your one bite away from the best session of your life

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 pm

There's definitely sea trout as far up as Reading and possibly further up. I suspect the come through the lochs.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Ferox

Post by Olly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:12 pm

I also believe that they will jump the weirs in times of high water. If barbel can do it so can a mini-salmon!

Reedling
Barbel

Post by Reedling » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:40 pm

I am sure I said this before but when I used to play on the Woolwich ferry as a kid(1960's) we used to look over the side and we used to see these tied up things floating down the river :Wink: , they were known locally as Thames Trout, you would not want to catch one though. :eyebrow:
Thinking about the river back then I do not think any type of fish would have survived that stretch of water, it really used to pen and ink all through the summer months and if the tide was out the mud stunk to high heaven. Back then you could hardly see the river for boats and barges going up and down and heavy industry puffing out smoke and effluent at a tremendous rate. What an improvement we have now and fish can be caught anywhere down the river both fresh and sea species.

RobWooly
Stickleback

Post by RobWooly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 pm

If anyone thinks Thames weirs are a barrier to Trout or Salmon forget it, Standing on Shepperton Weir as a youngster I watched a rather decent Brownie make it's way in instalments up the weir at the end of the walkway, this was in the middle of summer and at average water levels. Trout, Salmon and Sea Trout make Barbel look tame in regards to the water they can navigate

Olly
Ferox

Post by Olly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Even Beluga whales now!

Return to “River Thames”