A trip to Richmond on Thames to bring back memories

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Tengisgol
Barbel

A trip to Richmond on Thames to bring back memories

Post by Tengisgol »

I was lucky enough to be invited to the rugby yesterday at Twickenham, which included a very nice lunch overlooking the Thames at Richmond. This was a wonderful opportunity to revisit a childhood memory; getting the Motor Gear AC coach in darkness and arriving to unload in lamplight. Back in those days, it was full of dace and roach and any spot on the 'steps' would get you into double figures, with a winning weight often above 20lbs. Great big lightning-biting dace and hulking roach; the latter I remember in a wonderful net of fish to 'Tony', who was wise enough to take elderberry (the first time I'd ever seen that as bait).

It would be a full on race for the 'steps'. If that didn't work then you'd stand on the ledge and hope for the best, sometimes tying yourself to a bush or a park bench (if there was one behind you). Oh my goodness how dangerous. One of the members went in the river on a snowy day, opposite the rowing club, and they pulled him out by the boat slip at the bridge (very nearly the end for him).

I once fished in the little slack below the bridge, as a Junior, and beat 'Pheasant Plucker' off the next peg (one of the grown-ups) and he wasn't happy! So named for taking a dead pheasant home after the coach hit it on the way to the Suffolk Stour (and which subsequently came around - it was only stunned - and caused mayhem flapping inside the coach!).

Other times, we'd get on the District Line at Elm Park and do the full 27 stops (I recall) to Richmond Station at the other end of the line. So yesterday I revisited for the first time in thirty plus years to bring back memories. The cars are newer over the bridge, and the boats moored by it, but nothing else seems to have changed, in looks at least.

I have long thought about another train trip there, you can now get the over-ground, with just one change at Stratford, and I think it would be hilarious to be sat there in the carriage amongst the iPhones and headphones, with the old Aspindale perched upright, and then march down the High Street again with rod rests jangling and a trail of gentles behind me. I have also wondered about similarly entering the TideFest competition, just for a giggle!

Does anyone know if there is still good fishing at Richmond? It was sad to see no-one angling yesterday (although perhaps they too were getting ready for the rugby)?

The slack where I beat the Pheasant!

The boat slip where Alan was pulled out!

The steps opposite the rowing club

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: A trip to Richmond on Thames to bring back memories

Post by Olly »

Well as the 1/2 lock was open the river was about 6ft below normal level! They drop the water every November to check the lock.

When you fished it the water was deeper and you probably would of been fishing over the gravel shown!

One of the islands shown, nearest Twickenham bridge in the pictures, was carp heaven with numerous 20s caught by fishing on the island.

It still fishes and was a few years ago Teddington Weir was the best place to catch a 4lb perch.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Olly wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:54 am Well as the 1/2 lock was open the river was about 6ft below normal level! They drop the water every November to check the lock.

When you fished it the water was deeper and you probably would of been fishing over the gravel shown!

One of the islands shown, nearest Twickenham bridge in the pictures, was carp heaven with numerous 20s caught by fishing on the island.

It still fishes and was a few years ago Teddington Weir was the best place to catch a 4lb perch.
I can remember that we used to have to move down the steps as the tide went out and at least once then following the river out onto the gravel as it was yesterday.

Do you have any ideas Olly as to the roach and dace fishing? (sadly I did see some cormorants)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Very enjoyable nostalgia Phil.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I fell in off the corner of that slipway, leaning too far forward to release a ruffe that had flipped out of my grasp and was caught in the dead weeds between the stones. Not caught a ruffe since, and haven't rued the fact.
At least I didn't have far to go to shallow, calm water, sculling on my back, with my toe-caps about a yard from my nose because of the air trapped in my boots. The train and bus home seemed a long ride, though.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Vole wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 pm I fell in off the corner of that slipway, leaning too far forward to release a ruffe that had flipped out of my grasp and was caught in the dead weeds between the stones. Not caught a ruffe since, and haven't rued the fact.
At least I didn't have far to go to shallow, calm water, sculling on my back, with my toe-caps about a yard from my nose because of the air trapped in my boots. The train and bus home seemed a long ride, though.
I actually caught my first ever Ruffe at Richmond! I can picture it as a memory like it was sat in the palm of my hand right now.

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I grew up just up the road from Richmond and the tidal Thames was where we learnt to fish. I can remember the race to the steps outside the old ice rink, trotting for the big roach and dace. One time as a teenager in early January, such was the draw I fished precariously from the narrow ledge between the steps and of course the inevitable happened! I tumbled into the icy cold river but fortunately the next angler downstream dragged me out to safety.
I rang home from a nearby phone box and my dad was quickly dispatched catching the next bus with warm dry clothes. I had to get changed in the phone box Superman style.
I've not fished there for years now and although I still pass fairly regularly I rarely see any anglers but I reckon there should be good fishing still.
I really should give it a go again.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I fished there as a member with Loughton AS, as a youngster... I seem to recall catching tons of Roach and Dace but unable to weigh them in as we were fishing to size limits.... Must've been mid 70's.... Oh to be young again :Hahaha: :Cool: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I lived very near Radnor Gardens until I married and left the area. Bill Rushmer with whom I fished has only recently left the area. Dace and perch come and go, both cyclic, but the roach seem to well down on the numbers of yesteryear. The biggest roach I ever heard of was from a punt off the convent grounds near Radnor and weighed 1/2 oz under the magical 3 lb, about early 60's.

I have only ventured back a couple of times - only to find parking near the tidal river a major & costly problem! So the current state of affairs - is unknown.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Great post. The Thames is very close to my heart and not far from my door either. I enjoyed reading that very much. There was talk of a Tff outing on the tidal Thames but the bloke organising it left the forum ....

Return to “River Thames”