Thames

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
MGs
Pike

Thames

Post by MGs »

The river seems to be fishing much better over the last few weeks. My dad has had some good catches of roach and dace. All with his Lucky Strike. His latest dace is a cracker, nearly 1lb. It seems to have taken a while for fishing on the middle stretches to get going. Nice to see some roach and dace returning in good numbers
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Thames

Post by Santiago »

Likewise I've just had another great day trotting on the Thames today and managed to catch a lovely big dace but not as big as your dads MGs, for mine was only about 10-12oz. Might I ask where abouts your dad fishes on the Thames? I know its near me!!

A few years ago I struggled to catch roach and I was not the only one for the local tackle shop owner moaned about the lack of roach and said the match anglers were all frustrated by the lack of Thames roach. Funny thing then last year there was a sudden surge in their number with match anglers catching them to the 2lb mark. And now this year I've caught much more roach than I normally do. But good dace have been lacking in number yet I cannot seem to stop catching lots and lots of small ones!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

How lovely to hear of small fish in numbers - even more heartening than hearing of monster fish.

Crayfish decimation of fish eggs has always been a concern of mine and this brings a small ray of hope!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Luga00 wrote:How lovely to hear of small fish in numbers - even more heartening than hearing of monster fish.

Crayfish decimation of fish eggs has always been a concern of mine and this brings a small ray of hope!
I have always wondered whether roach eggs had a better chance of survival vs crayfish because they lay in the weed, in streamer water. It might be just a false hope but the theory isnt the worst one.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Santiago wrote:Likewise I've just had another great day trotting on the Thames today and managed to catch a lovely big dace but not as big as your dads MGs, for mine was only about 10-12oz. Might I ask where abouts your dad fishes on the Thames? I know its near me!!
He has been fishing at Wargrave. In the past it has provided the odd barbel and some good bags of bream. I have even had nice pike there. However, the stretch has been through some tough times, even with two of us feeder fishing we have struggled for a bite. So the change in fortunes is most welcome. According to dad the roach and dace are all of pretty decent size, 6oz and up.

On the other hand, he fishes St Patrick's Stream and the Lodden, both of which have been fishing very badly.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “River Thames”