TIDAL THAMES LOW WATER VENUES

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Stuart Whiting

Re: TIDAL THAMES LOW WATER VENUES

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:Dace have always been cyclic both on the Thames and Avon. Every XX number of years they vastly increase their population size!

So Mogden is no longer spewing out sewerage then? And Heathrow the same?
Sorry mate but don't know about Mogden and Heathrow :Confused:

Yea I'd say yer most probably right there Olly about the Dace, it's a very similar occurrence with Bass and Cod cycles, you get good years and then bad years, I'm hoping that things are on the up though :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tengisgol wrote:Richmond 1984! Wonderful days.

Oh yes Phil, looking at yer net of quality fish brings back so many happy memories for me aswell at Richmond :Thumb:

1984-85 is about the time when I first started to fish the tidal,

Totally agree wonderful days :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Paul D wrote:Sounds like you need to organize a tff gathering Stuart and show us country boys how it's done, I agree with Terry the Thames is a fabulous river and I have had some good fish from it but I always feel slightly intimidated the tidal sections. :Hat:
Although one can catch a few fish during the winter on the lower tidal it's probably now better off to wait until the start of the season next year as it starts to tail off now,

A few roach and dace can still be caught on the stick float or waggler on the semi tidal above the Richmond half lock but can still be quite hit and miss and again is better off waiting till next summer now,

I normally fish the tidal for around 4 months from mid June - mid October :Hat:
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Paul D wrote:Sounds like you need to organize a tff gathering Stuart and show us country boys how it's done, I agree with Terry the Thames is a fabulous river and I have had some good fish from it but I always feel slightly intimidated the tidal sections. :Hat:
Brilliant Stuart, thanks for sharing your swims, I would love a TFF meet next season, great idea Paul :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

During the winter time it's generally regarded as slowing down quite considerably because a lot of the roach and dace stocks fell to almost an all time bottom, the last few years it was odd few fish here and there and probably stood more chance with the bream shouls and even the carp,
However a few informative contacts have stated to me that a few decent catches were made in particular areas last year and quite considerably more results this year,

I may well have a few test runs ( sessions ) during this winter providing its exceptionally mild possibly on the semi tidal above Richmond around the Petersham meadows area on the steps, a known area where England team Steve Gardener and Keith Arthur used to regularly fish, this is only about a ten minute walk further upstream to where Phil " Tengisgol " is fishing in his picture above Richmond lock, in phil's post above :Thumb:

Admittedly I haven't fished this particular stretch for some time and be good to see how it's improved :Hat:
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Pafpuff wrote:
Brilliant Stuart, thanks for sharing your swims, I would love a TFF meet next season, great idea Paul :Hat:
Cheers pafpuff,

One of me favourite venues is actually at Barnes and Leg of mutton but this isn't necessarily the easiest of venues, I like it because when I wade out at low water I don't really get pestered by dog walkers etc because I'm way off of the main foot paths, nothing's worse than dogs fouling and dragging half of yer gear about :Thumbsdown::

However some of the easier fishing is above Richmond on the semi tidal and you do get public and dog walkers etc but as the tide starts to retreat one sought of starts to work themselves down the bank, steps and yer more away from the foot paths so to speak
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The last time Bill & I fished those steps a local chap, probably in his 70's or 80's, wearing a dressing gown walked up to us - took off his gown - walked down the steps in his swimming trunks and gentlemanly pushed Bill to one side and ---- dived in! There was a woman PCSO walking along the bank who called a male colleague. I think she thought he was committing suicide and as we talked on the bank he swum up & down - out to the middle and back! Her colleague however seemed to know the gent! Upon his return to the steps - only 5 - 10 mins later perhaps - they had a quick word and he disappeared back into the large houses behind us. Strange - very strange!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The one thing that prevents me going back to the Tidal -- is the parking! Almost nowhere to park for free and mostly expensive pay & display!

A list of free/cheap parking areas would be of great assistance to many wishing to fish there!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:The last time Bill & I fished those steps a local chap, probably in his 70's or 80's, wearing a dressing gown walked up to us - took off his gown - walked down the steps in his swimming trunks and gentlemanly pushed Bill to one side and ---- dived in! There was a woman PCSO walking along the bank who called a male colleague. I think she thought he was committing suicide and as we talked on the bank he swum up & down - out to the middle and back! Her colleague however seemed to know the gent! Upon his return to the steps - only 5 - 10 mins later perhaps - they had a quick word and he disappeared back into the large houses behind us. Strange - very strange!
Oh yes I quite agree that you do get some funny and strange people along the banks of the Thames, I've certainly seen a few sights in my time :shocked:

In hind sight the old boy had probably been swimming out into the Thames there for donkeys years and thought nothing of it, problem is at a certain age when dimensure starts to take its toll there likely to act a little strange,

I sadly lost my mum last year through dimensure as she became very illusionary :Cry:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:The one thing that prevents me going back to the Tidal -- is the parking! Almost nowhere to park for free and mostly expensive pay & display!

A list of free/cheap parking areas would be of great assistance to many wishing to fish there!
Yea I agree Olly that the parking is the biggest problem, I've obviously never taken any notice of it because I don't drive and used to get the train everywhere :Hat:

I wouldn't really know where to park,

One thought that did cross my mind though is for the last couple of years for the first time ever they've held the tidal river fest at Strand on the green ( Chiswick ) immediately downstream from Kew bridge down towards the railway bridge which had about 30 odd anglers fishing there and fishing down towards low water,
With this I thought that there must be parking nearby somewhere.

A few anglers did catch a few roach and dace trotting but from what I can remember when I visited there on the first year with me family that most were fishing on the feeder for the bream shoals :Thumb:

Just a thought :Hat:

Return to “River Thames”