Making a comeback?

This forum is for discussing dace.
MGs
Pike

Making a comeback?

Post by MGs »

I remember catching some really nice dace on the middle Thames back in the late 70s (up to about 1lb) on trotted bread flake. They seemed to disappear for years, but my last few trips to "Old Father" have resulted in quite a number of dace (outnumbering the roach). So are they on the increase?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Making a comeback?

Post by Mark »

It's nice to here that MGs.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I grew up trotting for dace in the Thames on the tidal stretches of Isleworth, Richmond and Twickenham in the 80's they were happy times. We used stick floats and bronze maggots. We waded in just wellies and stuck the keepnet pole down our boots, the maggots in our pockets, a few would always find a little nook to hide in, there was often a few blue bottles flying around my bedroom. Sometimes great shoals would get stranded by the receding tide in big pools, we would still fish for them!
I guess the frequent release of raw sewage by Thames Water in the area wont have helped but I believe they are still there in reasonable numbers. One thing I always wanted to try and must one day was flyfishing for them with a little dry or nymph.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

BobH

Post by BobH »

I'm a Dace now ?

Bob
:oops:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Keep on posting Bob and you will soon change into something a bit bigger. :chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Dace (Leuciscus leuciscus)”