dace,red letter day.

This forum is for discussing dace.
DaveTheRod

dace,red letter day.

Post by DaveTheRod »

I have been waiting for a bit of colour on the bit of water i fish,well i went today and it had just that.i caught 44 dace all over 6 oz and 11 of them were over 10 oz.i come home with that silly smile you get from fishing now and then.

Gurn
Chub

Re: dace,red letter day.

Post by Gurn »

How lovely is that? I could become quite addicted to the pursuit of dace. A perfect day.

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

What makes it even better,i had a broken 15ft Bruce and walker trotting rod with the bottom joint smashed,so i corked the middle section(15 inch from elbow to fist) and stripped it down and rewhipped the rod and made it into a 10ft trotting rod for a couple of very tight swims i know,took out for the first time today,what a rod perfect for what i wanted.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Lovely fish and a fine catch indeed.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

DaveTheRod wrote:What makes it even better,i had a broken 15ft Bruce and walker trotting rod with the bottom joint smashed,so i corked the middle section(15 inch from elbow to fist) and stripped it down and rewhipped the rod and made it into a 10ft trotting rod for a couple of very tight swims i know,took out for the first time today,what a rod perfect for what i wanted.
Good work. :Thumb:

Trouble is, I had my mind set on roach again this week. Now you've got me dreaming of dace. :Happy:

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Nice haul Sir :Thumb:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Great stuff. The dace seem to be making a bit of a comeback
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Beautiful fish Dace and congrats a wonderful memorable day.....I remember about twenty years ago catching a net full from the River Brede using a stick float and maggots , the net weighed 40lbs plus..a real red letter day, the biggest was just under 13 onces which broke my local club record..which still stands today. Unfortunately the water authority polluted the river and it was never the same since

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I love dace. I remember maybe 40 years ago catching 3 or 4 close to 1lb from the Thames on trotted bread. Exciting fishing.
My dad has been catching some nice dace from the Thames again, nice to see them returning
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

I think they might be making a comeback,the place i fish the roach are disappearing,could this be cormorants,it could be the dace are like lightening and to fast for them and the roach are that bit slower and there getting slaughtered,just a theory open to debate,any one else thinking along them lines or is this just me in cuckoo land again.while on the subject i also think gudgeon are on the comeback.

Return to “Dace (Leuciscus leuciscus)”