Searching for phantoms

Enter this forum only if you dare.
WindJammer

Searching for phantoms

Post by WindJammer »

So,The Haunted Pool,Waggoners Wells, much muttering but has anyone gone on to fish these places after sundown? In 'Casting' doesn't CY relate a story of how he thought he was alone at a lake until a shriek from across the water followed by thumping footsteps as the other angler made for their car and sped off into the night leaving his tackle there? I and a friend fished Redmire, we were the only ones there in August bank holiday and I was fishing the stumps. I didn't feel comfortable going for the Evening Pitch, big wuss I know but there you go. Anyway, I saw and heard nothing and my mate was in the '38' swim getting his head down early as is his wont. All I heard that was alien to me was the buzzin' gudgeons.
Now who would be up for a session at the Wells because I'm damned if I'm going to stay there all night on me tod. Imagine if you took your dog with you and they acted up and then scarpered leaving you there? Happy days !

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Searching for phantoms

Post by Dave Burr »

Over to you Snape :Happy:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I fished Redmire last July, I slept in the evening pitch on just my bedchair, no bivvy to hide away in and to keep out the ghouls and ghosts...... dont be such a girl :Hahaha:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote:Over to you Snape :Happy:
Everyone knows my views on ghosts and ghouls but the flight response is deeply rooted in our psyche and I can imagine doing a runner but feeling foolish for it later. :Scared:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Be Afraid, Be very afraid my friend?
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

Loop Erimder wrote:I fished Redmire last July, I slept in the evening pitch on just my bedchair, no bivvy to hide away in and to keep out the ghouls and ghosts...... dont be such a girl :Hahaha:
How many in the fishing party?

Laughs, I don't mind admitting I have an overactive imagination sometimes. I fished a place called Springwell near Pease Pottage on my own some nights, same for Lakeside near Haslemere but never the Wells, have you and would you? Proper modern day mythbuster rubbish or a genuine alarming session?
Let he who scorns lead from the front then.......
One place I want to see is the Witley wonder and it's underwater ballroom but that's another thread.
Waggoners social anyone, see who actually turns up :Cool:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I also fished there one cold dark January the other two had gone to the pub with Les and I was left all alone at Redmire, so had a wander round the pool pitch black and quiet with the odd rustling and spooky noises :Scared:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

My wife won't come night fishing on my lake just because of my description of the noises around the place. Birds and mammals crunching through the undergrowth, muntjacs 'barking' and the plodding footsteps of pheasants..... or are they the Boogeyman?

I love it. As I wrote in my last blog I could even hear the little broody noises made by a song thrush and have previously heard horseshoe bats and nightjar. Sure there have been odd noises that I haven't been able to identify and a fox venting forth at close quarters can make you jump but, if somebody would care to arrange it, I would be more than happy to fish Waggoners Wells alone for a night or three. There's no such things as ghosts so the only thing likely to bother me is mosquito's and Loop sneaking about try to scare me :Cool:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Dave Burr wrote:My wife won't come night fishing on my lake just because of my description of the noises around the place. Birds and mammals crunching through the undergrowth, muntjacs 'barking' and the plodding footsteps of pheasants..... or are they the Boogeyman?

I love it. As I wrote in my last blog I could even hear the little broody noises made by a song thrush and have previously heard horseshoe bats and nightjar. Sure there have been odd noises that I haven't been able to identify and a fox venting forth at close quarters can make you jump but, if somebody would care to arrange it, I would be more than happy to fish Waggoners Wells alone for a night or three. There's no such things as ghosts so the only thing likely to bother me is mosquito's and Loop sneaking about try to scare me :Cool:
Well I have to be close by to laugh at your lost fish :Hahaha:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A fine one to talk :fishing2:

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”