The Watcher in the Woods

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Davyr

Re: The Watcher in the Woods

Post by Davyr »

Snape wrote:Hear, hear JT.
(anyone remember Catweazel and electrickery?)
Not to mention the Telling Bone!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

and all that said I still like a good ghost story!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:and all that said I still like a good ghost story!
Me too. :thumb:

Maybe we should do an overnight meet and we could tell stories round a camp fire.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Well, I think if nothing else, MS should be heartily congratulated for introducing such a lively, engaging thread! :thumb: As for "cold spots", which some members have mentioned...Well, in my capacity as a journo I was once called to a certain hotel in Tewkesbury, because - it was alleged - alterations to the kitchen area had managed to stir up the ghosts. The tale, if my memory serves me right, was that during the English Civil War, a young girl had hidden her Royalist lover in one of the large chimneys. However, he was dragged out and butchered before her eyes; then she was killed by the angry Roundhead mob. Well, the main spot for the hauntings was the dining room - where the said chimney was still to be found. Yes, dogs refused to enter etc, and I was told that there were always cold spots, like tall columns of chilly air, that seemed to move around the room. By walking around the room, I was able to confirm that this was indeed the case - it was odd, although I wasn't quite convinced that spooks were the answer...They could have been down to drafts, atmospherics and so on. One thing amused me: the owner told me that, in her view, the ghosts "roosted" in the old chimney, rather like birds - and they were only "walking" again because the alterations to the building had disturbed them! :D

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I don't believe in spooks...........

........but fish Waggoners at night.....NO THANKS!!!!! :shocked:
Has this place been written about by Mr Yates? It is kind of dark the further along you go, is there not a cottage in the woods too?
It all seems a bit hazy now.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I don't believe in spooks...........

........but fish Waggoners at night.....NO THANKS!!!!! :shocked:

Tell us about Waggoners.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I loved that story Shadow, so much so that I read it to my wife and she enjoyed it too.

I live out in the sticks, above an old church and cemetry. Luckily seperated by the river. I took the dog for a walk down to the church one night and my dog reacted in exactly the same way as your Molly. I tried to see what my dog (Bonnie) was barking at and all the shaddows began to move. Our walk turned out to be a run. I high-tailed it up the field and to the safety of home.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

Brilliant story! Cold spots are, I'm sure due to microclimatic conditions. There is a stretch of the Loddon that I fish and one particular swim is about a mile from any access point. The walk back to the car in the middle of the night is long and I am always pleased when I reach then end of the path to the car park. Even on warm and sticky nights there is a 100 yard section that is noticeably colder. It is like stepping into a fridge and I always feel uneasy and my step quickens until I am out the other side and the temperature warms up. Maybe it is the proximity of open fields or the configuration of the bank side trees that create this microclimate. I have to believe it is due to natural rather than supernatural reasons otherwise I wouldn't want to do the long walk back to the car with dark thoughts filling my mind!

Steve

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”