Peter Mohan and haunted pools

Enter this forum only if you dare.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Peter Mohan and haunted pools

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Excellent, just excellent. Unfortunately I don't have any spooky stories to add, but would love to hear anymore you guys may have!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

JAA wrote:I'm usually still there well after dusk if rules allow - I fished a small wooded lake last year and the year before and was constantly baffled by the clanking of the gate and the rattle of the padlock chain, but no-one would come by...

I shrugged it off...and then one evening I was just leaving and the gate in front of me shook and clanked and the chain rattled as if moved by a ghostly hand...and there I was face to face with a bloody great badger than had shoved it's hairy ar$se under the gate...ah well. I'm not sure who was most surprised.

Still don't like the walk from peg 2 to 3 at night, have to restrain myself from looking behind.
Haaaaa ha ha ha ha ! That's brill!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

It's not just carp pools! Another one from the archives:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/di ... rlife.html
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Another lovely story Sean. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sorry to say that the majority of ghostly happening are explained by either heightened senses from being in an unusual environment (hence SK not having any spooky stories as he seems to spend as much time under a brolly at night as in his own bed!) or sleep paralysis.

Sleep paralysis, which I used to have all the time: when you become conscious whilst still asleep and the body's self protection mechanism of paralysing itself to prevent it carrying out the actions in dreams feels like a weight is pushing down on you. The apparition is formed by the mind which is still in a REM dream state.

The Nightmare, by Henry Fuseli (1781) is thought to be one of the classic depictions of sleep paralysis perceived as a demonic visitation.

According to J. A. Cheyne in Preventing and Coping with Sleep Paralysis various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:
Sleeping in an upwards supine position
Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation
Increased stress
Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
Recent use of hallucinogenic drugs

All of which seem entirely likely during a night fishing session!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Yep, done all those!!! :thumb:

And the thing about spending as much time under the bolly than in my own bed, well I worked out the statistics and between April 2010 and April 2011 I actually spent a bit more than half the nights under the brolly. :wink:

I have heard many stories, including some from The Evening Pitch, about anglers waking but not being able to raise their bodies.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

peter mohan is bringing out a new book soon published by fishingbooksender im looking forward to it

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

SteveW wrote:I am involved in the running of a 3 acre estate lake in Essex that was originally dug in about 1780. The lake is in the grounds of an old manor house that was the home of Admiral John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent (a patron of Lord Nelson) until he died in 1823. It is said that in his later years he used to get a group of the local naval cadets to come to the house and row him up and down the lake in the rowing boat that was moored in the old boathouse (no longer there). That is a brief history of the lake.
During the many years I have been involved with the lake there have been several unexplained occurrences that in some cases has left the member concerned visibly shaken. A list of some of these occurrences is as follows:
- A member night fishing was awoken by a strange noise coming from the lake. Looking out of his shelter he saw what looked like a large rowing boat moving slowly through the mist. He said he could clearly hear the sound of the oars in the rowlocks.
- Another member while night fishing woke up for no apparent reason so decided to get up and answer a call of nature. As he stood outside his shelter he looked to his left and saw an old man standing there and looking out over the lake. He said his face was completely white. He jumped back in the shelter to get his torch but when he came out a few seconds later the old man had dissappeared.
- My own experience of strange happenings occurred when I was fishing there alone one night. The lake is in a very rural area with no surrounding lights so unless there is a full moon its always very dark as it was on this particular night. Once again, I woke up for no apparent reason at about 2 am so got up to have a look across the lake. As I did something made me look to my left and about 50 yards down the bank saw a bright white light shining from the bankside. I then heard a voice call out. That was the really scary thing as what the mystery voice was calling was my own name.

There have been several other instances of unusual things happening and some of the members have been so shaken that they will no longer fish the lake at night.

All very strange but true.
That is terrifying, Steve! :shocked:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Haunted or not I take it its a syndicate water!

I love old Essex Estate lakes.

Gaz

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

SteveW wrote:- My own experience of strange happenings occurred when I was fishing there alone one night. The lake is in a very rural area with no surrounding lights so unless there is a full moon its always very dark as it was on this particular night. Once again, I woke up for no apparent reason at about 2 am so got up to have a look across the lake. As I did something made me look to my left and about 50 yards down the bank saw a bright white light shining from the bankside. I then heard a voice call out. That was the really scary thing as what the mystery voice was calling was my own name.

All very strange but true.
Hi Steve, :Hat:

......bloody double-glazing salemen just don't know when to give up! :Chuckle:

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”