davyr wrote:
traditionalangling wrote: Marston Lane stretch up stream from the bridge
Phew! Well downstream of my bit, then. :thumb:
It fret me for sure

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Re: WAKING THE DEAD

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Snape wrote:Freaky stuff all right. Reminiscent of Hammer House of Horror and the walking dead!
My scariest encounter was whilst standing on the banks of the Warks Avon by a line of pollarded trees at dusk, hearing a strange swooshing sound apparently directly overhead. Looking to investigate I saw the white shape of a huge barn owl hovering over my head and looking to come in to land on me! My movement spooked it and it swooped of and landed on a pollarded tree a few yards away. I can't imagine the shock (and pain) I would have had if it had landed on my head! :shocked:

A very similar thing happened to me, Snape, in that I had a Barn Owl (which was flying silently upriver afterdark, unbeknown to me !) swoop after my rod-tip isotope as I was sat in the dark ! I don't know who was more surprised, me or him !

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I was sat next to a small carp pool at about midnight. I rarely use a torch at night and had threaded my line to retie a hook by holding it against the moon light (I had younger eyes then). Next to me was a large tree with an open hollow at the front, beyond it were bushes, it was black as coal in there.

I concentrated on tying my hook ( I used to practice with my eyes shut - keen or what?) when - suddenly - from the darkness right next to me a cat let out the loudest, longest howl I have ever heard. I froze for a while then laughed (nervously), the poor thing must have been as startled at coming across me as I was of hearing it!

The last laugh went to the cat though, I later had a bite and the hook I'd been tying came undone and I lost the damn fish.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

There is a lake I know in deepest Essex where I've had two disturbing experiences both in broad daylight. I won't ever go back there especially since I have heard of others having alarming experiences there as well.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Beresford wrote:There is a lake I know in deepest Essex where I've had two disturbing experiences both in broad daylight. I won't ever go back there especially since I have heard of others having alarming experiences there as well.
Come on Beresford you can't leave us in suspense, spill the beans!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Luke
I actually don't want to write anything because I'd love to see if anybody else posts about something 'very odd' at a lake in Essex, it might turn out to be the same location. If nothing is posted I'll tell you… and the one other story I've been told and what I subsequently found out.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Beresford wrote:Luke
I actually don't want to write anything because I'd love to see if anybody else posts about something 'very odd' at a lake in Essex, it might turn out to be the same location. If nothing is posted I'll tell you… and the one other story I've been told and what I subsequently found out.
Ok will watch this space!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

stalkingluke wrote:
So will i

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

ljm183 wrote:
stalkingluke wrote:
So will i
The suspense is killing me!

Rural canals can be spooky places too, can't they? There's one spot my brother fishes, near a river bridge, and it's supposed to be haunted by a white lady...Well, he's spent many a dark hour there, fishing for carp: but it makes him nervous, especially as the trees overhang the towpath and there's a small wood behind him, full of noises.
One night, coming back, he had a very odd experience. A glowing orange fiery ball rose from the towpath before him, floated across the water and vanished. What did he see? - marsh gas, or something else?

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”