FWK Wallis in famous anglers

This forum belongs to F. W. K. Wallis.
AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: FWK Wallis in famous anglers

Post by AllRounder »

It would be very interesting to keep this going with additional information or photos. I have just acquired a book by JW Martin and within it he refers to FWK taking some tremendous catches from Long Eaton.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm Having spent the last 50 plus years within a couple of mile of the Trent I'm really interested in this, who's publishing it?

The Trent certainly helped shape some great anglers over the years.
It is with the copy editors/proof readers at the moment and part one will cover the period 1800 to 1875 ish ending with Bailey's death in 1886.

The reels will be the main story and the men who built them and fished them. So far there are no reels on this or any other forum that fall within the timeline. Someone has written about Pomfret Street in a rather romantic way but Ive stove for accuracy, almost impossible with the lack of written information.

I have read a number of publications from 1800 onwards Bailey wrote weekly for Bells Life Nottingham Guardian etc. As did Coxon and a couple of other Nottingham fishermen.

Having been born 100 odd yards from Pomfret Street its possible that I was destined to write this history.

Stef

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Paul D wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 pm
StefanDuma wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm Wallis is a very firm favourite of mine having done lots of research into the man for my forthcoming book Men of Trent, part one, out later this year.

I did hear the various stories about his so called poverty, his move to the south but alas these two are incorrect along with many other myths.

Chavender is correct in that his family owned a lace business in Long Eaton and Nottingham.

He never left Nottinghamshire, I was very fortunate to meet with his granddaughter who let me have some unpublished photographs of him. She heard that John Norman had said that all Wallis had left at the end of his life was his record fish and a few other items. She had no idea why he had made up the stories and unfortunately Norman died early so we will never know.

The record fish was returned to the water by Wallis something I was able to pass on to Anne before she died. She and her husband spent years looking in pubs trying to find the record barbel that Wallis had caught. The romantic theory is that Bailey passed on his casting to Coxon and that Coxon showed Wallis all the great secret haunts on the Royalty where the big barbel were. Rubbish!

I have done lots of research into Wallis tracing all the places he lived and even where he is buried, believe me he never moved south. I also own the magnificent silver trophy that he won on numerous occasions for the Wellingtonians together with some photographs and his obituary.
Fascinating Sir, care to share some pictures?
I will dig out some that are in the public domain and get them on here in a week or so.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've a little on my blog about both FWK and Pomfret Street so I shall look for your book with interest Stefan, and may I take this opportunity to with you every success with it! :Hat:

I have an image of 'his' cup on the blog too...surely that isn't the one you possess??

I've been hoping to bump in to you at one of the tackle fairs and thank-you for your J W Young research too, quite the most thorough I've seen.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Nobby wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:11 am I've a little on my blog about both FWK and Pomfret Street so I shall look for your book with interest Stefan, and may I take this opportunity to with you every success with it! :Hat:

I have an image of 'his' cup on the blog too...surely that isn't the one you possess??

I've been hoping to bump in to you at one of the tackle fairs and thank-you for your J W Young research too, quite the most thorough I've seen.

I do indeed own it. I was aware of the trophy for more than twenty years and did attempt to buy it from one of FWK's descendants, at the time he did not want to sell it so I gave him my details and told him that he ever wanted to sell it I would be interested.

He lost my details and I had changed some of mine as well. The outcome was he he could not contact me so he entered it into auction where I bought it along with some pictures, obituary and a letter from the grandson.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Congratulations then Stefan, .... clearly it was destined to be yours!

Quite a bit of history on the side of that trophy...the man was unstoppable.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Just had a look at your blog and it has some great article on there. The second photograph of Wallis in the boat was included in the sale and I have the original.

Also looked at the Aerial article as Coxon figures strongly in book 3. Coxon, another Nottingham angler, certainly was a character. The fact that his brother made bicycles was something I discovered and told another person in strict confidence, as you always need the wow factor when writing articles or books. He promptly told everyone, now its accepted fact.

I love Spedia's I have two that I use.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

StefanDuma wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm Just had a look at your blog and it has some great article on there. The second photograph of Wallis in the boat was included in the sale and I have the original.

Also looked at the Aerial article as Coxon figures strongly in book 3. Coxon, another Nottingham angler, certainly was a character. The fact that his brother made bicycles was something I discovered and told another person in strict confidence, as you always need the wow factor when writing articles or books. He promptly told everyone, now its accepted fact.

I love Spedia's I have two that I use.
Wasn't the first bicycle with spokes called an Aerial?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Yes Harry it was but can't at present find the proof for you.
Mike

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thank-you Stefan. Please let me know if you spot any errors on the blog. I know there are some ...or at least Tony Croft tells me there are. I'm just waiting for him to let me know where.......

Return to “F. W. K. Wallis”