Favourite Boots

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Paul D

Re: Favourite Boots

Post by Paul D »

Blimey! you've had your money's worth out of them Paul :Ok:

Penrhos
Minnow

Post by Penrhos »

Neoprene muck boots for me usually, but my favourite has to be a pair of Cheaney 'veldtschoen' boots - the kind of thing that there were considered 'proper' walking / outdoor boots many years ago. Very tough leather and quite waterproof within reason but nevertheless the most comfortable boots I have had.

They polish up nicely too just in case you need to go straight from the riverbank to the office for any reason.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I had a pair of Hi-Gear Walking boots from Go-Outdoors and I must say that they were incredibly comfortable, waterproof and very good all round... right up till the sole started falling off one of them after about 2 years... but I suppose £50 doesn't go far these days where boots are concerned :tea:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Just a cheap pair of Dunlop wellies.
And a pair of crocs in the summer.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Fredline wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 pm Skeetex Field boots for me.

I got a pair of these for Christmas off the mother in law, they are not all bad lol.

Worn twice and very comfortable and warm....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Depends on where I am fishing, these ugly things were "issued " to me in 1979, they have been abused by fire, water, oils, lubricants, strimmed to near oblivion and back again, used on building projects, one has had an alsations teeth clamped around the ankle, and one had a car engine block dropped on it when a strop failed, it saved my toes as the steel toecaps are like something that would stop a bullet.
They were my go to boots for Charter Fishing for many many years , now they are somewhat worn inside, the soles have virtually had it, but I do not have the heart to dispose of them,41 years old and will probably still be around when I eventually push up daisies. To be honest I always look after all my footwear , and they have always been cleaned and polished no matter how bad they got . THey are a bit dusty due to not being looked at for a couple of years or more.
They have a shelf dedicated to themselves in the workshop.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I bet they're not DuBarry! Good footwear is a godsend and to be cherished when found

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to boots and use this little number from Fife Country

Hoggs Veldtschoen Boots are British, hand-made and are tough and reliable for the outdoor life. Made from the finest materials including waterproof leather uppers, leather linings and insoles, and robust waterproof soles. Handcrafted by Hoggs of Fife in Great Britain, each boot has at lease 200 hand operations. A veldtschoen boot, styled in 'Zug' grain leather with bellows tongue. 5 eyelet and 4 hook design and Commando rubber sole and heel.

8011584D-B224-45C9-916A-70FB47300B7C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Croesor
Minnow

Post by Joe Croesor »

LaCrosse hunting rubber boots/wellies, found on eBay and so far doing well

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Albion wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to boots and use this little number from Fife Country

Hoggs Veldtschoen Boots are British, hand-made and are tough and reliable for the outdoor life. Made from the finest materials including waterproof leather uppers, leather linings and insoles, and robust waterproof soles. Handcrafted by Hoggs of Fife in Great Britain, each boot has at lease 200 hand operations. A veldtschoen boot, styled in 'Zug' grain leather with bellows tongue. 5 eyelet and 4 hook design and Commando rubber sole and heel.

.8011584D-B224-45C9-916A-70FB47300B7C.jpeg
I had a pair of hoggs fell boots way back and always used them when out hunting or doing terrier work. They really had to be the toughest made boot that I ever saw. I was advised when I got mine to get down to the chemist and buy two bottles of castor oil and tip a bottle into each boot, swill it around until all the boot inside was coated and leave for a week or so. The was to help soften the leather as it was thick and hard, and to help waterproof them from the inside out. I never went out with my terriers without wearing the fell boots and although they were £120 35 years ago, they were worth every penny. I'm not sure they would be my choice for fishing though, the skee tex are performing very well up to now.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”