The Tarp Hat

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

The Tarp Hat

Post by The Old Buffer »

Always on the lookout for a wide brim hat to wear when fishing I came across these.

They are made from old truck tarpaulins in Brazil and no two hats are the same. They can be obtained for just under £30 and I am going to give one a try. You can find them on Amazon and e-bay or simply type Tarp Hat into a search engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: The Tarp Hat

Post by Kevanf1 »

Hey, now, as Chris Lythe would say (I don't know why I put that it just popped into my head that Chris always seems to start a conversation with me with 'hey, now'). I do like those. I shall look them up.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

they are very good hats :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Tarp hat arrived today and I am not disappointed. Stylish, individual and utilitarian. :Hat:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Very nice TOB,

I'll look them up

Gaz

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I had always hung my nose over one of these and eventually decided to add one to my extensive hat and cap collection. I must say I absolutely love it. Incredibly light in weight, very water repellent and just as important to me, very individual as no two are the same and I have never liked to conform or be uniformed.

A lovely well lived in feel from day one.

Ordered one day and received the next day from these http://www.tarphat.co.uk/default.aspx had looked at these too http://www.realdealbrazil.eu/ and couldn't decide which to try so saved a few wine tokens and went for the cheaper one.

Yes, it is scruffy looking but I quite like it.

I can't see my big old heavy leather wide brim hat getting much use now.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Shaun,

I'm with you on those, really like the look of them and one is on the wish list.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I put the pictures up as I felt the pictures at the top didn't represent them too well with that big logo on them - mine has a very discreet little tab at the back which could easily be removed if not wanted but it really is tiny. I wouldn't have wanted one with that big logo on. There is a special comments box when you order if you don't want writing print on the hat and I think you can request without patches.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I received one as a christmas present from my Amazon wish list and have worn it on every fishing session this year. Its featured in most of the photos I've posted of fish in my fishing journals on here. I liked it so much I' ve already bought another.
Their website gives details of cleaning them by hand washing, but I found sticking it in the washing machine on a 'hand wash ' programme is ideal. It then smells fresh again and looks as good as new.
Great idea, they look good on anyone, each one is unique, and I think its fantastic that the hat you are wearing has travelled along the roads from Brazil through the Amazon.
I note from their website they also do lots of other stuff made from the tarpaulins - all sorts of bags, laptop covers , etc.
Some ideas are really good. :Cool:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I put the pictures up as I felt the pictures at the top didn't represent them too well with that big logo on them - mine has a very discreet little tab at the back which could easily be removed if not wanted but it really is tiny. I wouldn't have wanted one with that big logo on. There is a special comments box when you order if you don't want writing print on the hat and I think you can request without patches.
There's nothing wrong with flying the Brazilian flag old chap..........I'm sure most of us like to see a Brazillian! :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”