Boot recommendation

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Boot recommendation

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I thought about army surplus boots after a visit to the Royal Marine Commando Training Centre at Lympstone. The RSM was asked for advice about the 'best' boots. He said 'The boots that are issued'. He was the sort of guy you would accept advice from, without question !

There's a lot of rubbish talked about army boots, they are not the low tech, hob nailed, crude boots that they used to be. Millions of pounds has been spent on research into design and materials and only top performing kit is procured.

While browsing an army surplus shop, the RSM's advice popped into my head. I found the correct size and handed over the cash. If it's good enough for a top 'Bootneck' it's good enough for me. He was right they are unbeatable.

"Boots on the Ground"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I fully agree about army boots. Lowa, Magnum and Meindl are excellent.
For army activities I have Lowa's and Meindl's and both are outstanding but pricey new (around £150).
For the cheap option look for grade 1 used boots (£25-35).
eg http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk ... pscr4.html

Nice kit SofaSurfer. The stalking vest is good with plenty of room for bait, hooks and shot etc but it is a bit bulky for my liking! :Tongue:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks, some good advice and recommendations. I was in the services and was a bit miffed to find out I had to give back my boots when I left.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Prologic Polarzone Max-4 boots. High field boots that are so comfortable that I use them for most of my winter hill walking as well as fishing. They are waterproof nearly up to the top of the laces and by this I mean that you can stand over your ankles in water for several hours. I've had mine for 5 years and they are still going strong although the waterproof membrane is just starting to go slightly and I can't stand in water for very long any more.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/688 ... 8867a26/90

About £70, but try before you buy as the sizing is quite generous and I can wear a pair of size 8 with thick socks (normally a size 8.5 in shoes).
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I'd love a great pair of boots; I've just gone back to Dunlop wellies after my last pair of "carp boots", (can't recall the make), leaked almost instantly and started to disintegrate almost as quickly. Trash.
Perhaps I'll try the army boots, as suggested.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Prince of Durham wrote:I have a pair of these. They are absolutely brilliant. My feet have never get wet or a hint of cold.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p107717-skee-t ... scsWX8gGSM
I had a pair of those for about 7 years.... they were damn warm and so comfy they were like slippers... I was gutted when the sole parted company with the upper... I'd say they are not that waterproof, (showerproof definitely) but as a good warm winter boot you'd be hard pressed to find better
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Got me a pair of these. My current ones can take ages to get off and I think they leak. These ones are very comfortable
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Yes, I have good wellies. I want something like a general purpose boot that I can use for fishing in normal bankside conditions, a bit of hiking and walking round town when it is chucking it down as all of my normal shoes leak.
I'm looking at these at the moment
http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pro ... boots-new/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Decision made. I had a chat to one of my mates, still in the forces. He swears by the Goretex lined British Army cold weather boots.
Luckily, I found a pair on the surplus stall at our local pannier market. Brand new still with tags, £35. Good job I got chance to try them on as they come up quite small, I normally take a UK 8 and these are a 9 and a good fit. Next stop, bucket loads of dubbin

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Bear Grylls moment . . .

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”