Barbour - fake or not?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Churchyard Yew

Re: Barbour - fake or not?

Post by Churchyard Yew »

Hi,

I would say the coat is an original, possibly from the 1950's. The label is the type Barbour used before they were by royal appointment. Incidentally, Barbours = the family name and Barbour = the brand. Thus Barbour's of South Shields is technically correct as they are a) the Barbour family and b) hail from South Shields.

Churchyard Yew

Churchyard Yew

Post by Churchyard Yew »

Reference my previous post, further example of a vintage Barbour label

Churchyard Yew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Weyfarer, I think your Barbour looks the real McCoy to me, so should be treasured and worn to fish those local rivers in your neck of the woods!

I'm envious of the roach fishing in your locale and with your new/old Barbour fitting in with the river environment, what roach could refuse your bait?

Not too long to wait before I take my traditional looksee on the Wey. Had a stroll last week but most of the local stretches are still too overgrown, with the river weed just too copious for a good trotting session at the moment.

Maybe a waggler or stick session could be in order, just to keep my eye in though.....hummmm!

Let me know how you are 'faring'?

Mole Power!!!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Interesting to note that 'country clothing' is making a come back in some circles.

Tweed jackets are becomming quite popular with some 'fashionable' folk.

I suppose it can only be a good thing if it helps keep companies like Harris and Barbour healthy.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

A pedant replies: Harris isn't a company - it's the registered trademark of a very loose collection of weavers.

The fashion for country clothing amongst the "Chelsea Set" comes around every decade or so. You know when it's "in" again as market stalls start selling cheap knock-offs of Barbour jackets!

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

I have been selling vintage Barbours for a few years now and they are still a good buy at around the £40-60 mark as they still are making the same models today new for loads of money.And you can re-wax them yourself or send the to Barbour for refurb.
Happy Hunting.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

amusing that I remember being refused service in a Pub for wearing a Belstaff wax biking jacket 30 years ago -and now my Barbour wax jacket is the height of fashion!!

Martin H

Post by Martin H »

You really cannot beat a Barbour on the bank just so traditional to! Mine is around forty years old and was given to me twenty years ago by an old Dartmoor farmer as payment for some hedgelaying.Good old bartering system in darkest Devonshire!!!!!
The old girl gets treated to some wax every year and will still be going strong for many years!!!!!

Every angler needs one!!!

Mart h

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dear Martin h,

I trust you are referring to your Barbour Jacket when you exclaimed 'The old girl gets treated to some wax every year and will be going strong for many years!!!!!'.......and not your good lady wife, or some other female of your acqaintance?

Or is this another 'interesting' local custom in 'darkest Devonshire?'

I am also a little concerned by your assertion and I quote 'Every angler needs one!!!' :laugh:

I hope further clarification will be delivered promptly to avoid any future misunderstanding or misinterpretation, as some on this site have very 'fertile' imaginations and are probably packed and wending their way to Devon, Banjo's in hand, as we speak!

Take care!

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

BlackSheep

Post by BlackSheep »

I used to have one but threw it away when it began to smell as if it had died!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”