Rain jacket

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
John Aston

Rain jacket

Post by John Aston »

I am looking for an ultra lightweight but waterproof jacket to stuff in the back pocket of my flyfishing waistcoat . It needs to compress down to a handy size; not for days when it's raining but for those days when there might be the odd shower. Don't need pockets but must be 100% waterproof and big enough to fit over a big bloke with a bulky waistcoat and be loose fitting enough so I can cast still.

Any bright ideas? In this context the adjective 'traditional' describes the wearer more than the garment so bear with me- no Harris Tweed thanks :snooty:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Rain jacket

Post by Kingfisher »

How about a poncho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-CA ... 19b71ea63a

Stu borrowed Fennel's at the weekend, it was a devil of a job to restrain him from hand gliding in it on these Welsh hills. :Chuckle:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I use Orvis for when I take on my Fly Fishing character instead of carp. Great products if admittedly a little bit extra but other than price I have never had any Orvis product not do exactly what it says on the label - PS. If there are any Orvis Marketing folk as TFF Members then I shall be happy to supply an address via PM. Still a great product line though. !

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Kingfisher wrote:How about a poncho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-CA ... 19b71ea63a

Stu borrowed Fennel's at the weekend, it was a devil of a job to restrain him from hand gliding in it on these Welsh hills. :Chuckle:
+1 for the poncho, great bits of kit, pack down really small and 100% waterproof
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes a pvc pocho is perfect for your needs, packs away really small, lightweight, totally waterproof and dead cheap to buy.

Wal.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Another vote for Orvis and this is a new addition to their range, not bad at £79.00

Take on unexpected weather with confidence. Lightweight, packable, and waterproof, the Encounter jacket is designed to fit easily into a waistcoat or kit bag. Constructed of breathable, 2.5-layer fabric that provides excellent protection from wind and water. Features a fully adjustable hood and YKK waterproof zips. A large, single patch pocket on the left chest holds fly boxes or other accessories. Elasticated cuffs with easy adjuster and a draw cord around the waist provide a snug, comfortable fit. In two-tone sage.
Sizes: S(34-36), M(38-40), L(42-44), XL(46-48), XXL(50-52), XXXL(54-56).

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Orvis...I have a problem buying their stuff now. After letting me down with a lifetime guaranteed broken fly rod (encounter with a pike which went badly wrong ) they sold me yet another pair of waders which leaked (bloody breathables) and refuse to answer my email of polite complaint. Thanks anyway- I was looking for a cheap as chips solution ideally .

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

In which case. Army Surplus. German Army poncho. Great bit of kit for around £ 5. Used !

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

These have a built in waterproof, not that cheap....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/29025527 ... 108&ff19=0

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

Try "GELERT RAINPOD , breathable waterproof windproof packable lightweight", loads on Ebay. Packs into small pouch approx 9" x 4.5", has plastic swivel clip on its pack for belt or ruck, and elastic cord lock drawstring loop too. Or just squash it to a pancake shape for the back pocket of a waistcoat. About £20 and mine is in DPM camo, can get many colours (but not Joseph) even ultra bright for coastal fishing, make sure the helicopter finds you first! And town colours.
Had mine for 3 years and still good. Unbeatable value.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Dark-Oli ... 3cdfd9de72

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”