Traditional ties

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Traditional ties

Post by Loop Erimder »

BendSomeCane wrote:
The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:
MHC wrote:Tie worn for…respect for the quarry….? Maybe salmon fishing by the landed gentry in the 50's. Seeing the photo of ties and Crabtree nets held high (et al) I feel is turning the gentle persuit of coarse fishing as I knew it decades ago into a pastiche of itself, an odd sort of dress up re-enactment, which makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable and this forum less appealing, even with a hint of tongue in cheek.

It's a gentelmanly branch of the sport. Where secrets are non existent, where its customary to offer the best swim to your companion, where tea and cake are more important than the pursuit of fish. Make of it what you wish, no sleep will be lost, sir.
I couldnt agree more. a sense of being a little eccentric.. does it matter. ?? Not a jot. !
I enjoy it all, and many more do.
BSC
Hear hear
:Hat:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

:roll: :roll: Meech's menswear in Weymouth. They have it all. Cardigans, flatcaps, waistcoats, corduroy trousers, tanktops, ties. You name it. Extremely traditional. Another very good shop is Snooks, the hatters in Bridgeport, where you can find all the big boys stuff. Deerstalkers, caps and pork pie hats of course.... They even offer pipes, shaving soap, walking stick caps, and they sell nice bow ties (those to knot as well). I've seen a breathtaking three piece tweed suit there. Plus fours, waistcoat and jacket in mustard yellow with red checkers. :drool:

By the way: What's the fuzz? Fishin' fashion doesn't need uniform rules. If you want, you may wear a tutu and a coconut as a hat.
:huray:
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Hamburger wrote:oll:

By the way: What's the fuzz? Fishin' fashion doesn't need uniform rules. If you want, you may wear a tutu and a coconut as a hat.
:huray:
..............or even a traffic cone on your head .... As Chris Yates suggests in one of his books.....
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I wear the official Society tie (as do many more!) at official Monthly meetings!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”