Wierd Waders

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Beryl

Re: Wierd Waders

Post by Beryl »

Tengisgol wrote:I bought a pair of breathable stocking foot waders and boots in 1999 and they completely revolutionised my fishing. All of a sudden I could walk as many miles as I wanted, in utter comfort and any weathers (from the hottest to the coldest), and get in and out of the river at will right up to my chest. They're not as waterproof for wading now as they were then (so I did replace them) but those old ones I still wear for bank fishing for all the same reasons.
I've a pair of Hardy with some boots. Owned them for a year and worn them once. Mostly I fish a couple or three hours and the rubbery Oceans do the business. The former, on a hot , all day long session ,would be armour of choice. Mostly I'm in the shade of small streams. It's tight and brambly and most people find you can throw a few hundred quid away in no time at all :Thumb:

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Another shout in praise of breathable stocking-foot chest waders, Orvis at the moment but I've also had decent ones from Hardy/Greys. I wear them all season on the rivers (with the exception of the Thames) normally with K2 Karrimor sandals from Sports Direct that cost about 15 quid in the sales. I do a fair bit of walking and find the "proper wading boots" umm, fall apart. I should add that I've not paid above about £120 for boots so the more expensive ones may be a lot more durable. For more treacherous bottoms I've bought a pair of the Canyoneer SAR boots that Martin Bowler and Henry Gilby both spoke positively about. Was I a victim of hype with the boots? well I couldn't tell you as I haven't worn them yet (you can't really count putting them on to watch River Monsters can you?) as I've not fished the Wye etc this season. BSFCW, essential kit. Happy Xmas chaps.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

They are okay but it takes a while to get into them. Unless you are off for a full day in heat I usually use boot foot waders. You can be in them in seconds and for the two /three hour sessions its just much more convenient. The breathables are much more prone to being punctured too. I have both. In the last year I have used the breathables (Hardy EWS) once. Mostly I use Ocean rubbery things I picked mine up in a charity shop for a tenner; but even at fifty quid-ish they may not look too cool but the are indestructible.

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

I too have both but prefer the breathable stocking foot. I've not yet come across a barbed wire fence that makes a distinction between the two when it comes to punctures...

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”