A New Shirt, A Classic.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
CrayCane
Chub

Re: A New Shirt, A Classic.

Post by CrayCane »

Some great links Iain. The Johnnie Allen classic has been a long time favourite of mine.

Pete

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Stathamender wrote:I won't have anything said against Hank. And if you want clarification on the subject of US attitudes to fishing I suggest you follow the link in my sig. The man who wrote 'Later Alligator' (and many other great songs) supported by the inimitable Delbert McClinton on slide. I'll see you around, when I get back in town........
Hey! I'm a big fan of Hank and even bigger fan of his grandson Hank Williams III; Try this one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAwn1tO1Uk

Love that swamp music too, this is the dogs!; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NIZexqb4U

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Chewing tobacco anybody? :roll: :Happy:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

CrayCane wrote:Some great links Iain. The Johnnie Allen classic has been a long time favourite of mine.

Pete
It's on that great collection of swamp rock that the late Charlie Gillet put together Another Saturday Night, re-released by Ace http://acerecords.co.uk/another-saturday-night Also features amongst many fine recordings a standout cover of another Bobby Charles song Before I Grow Too Old by Tommy McLain and a Cajun take on The Hag's Lonesome Fugitive by Belton Richard, the accordionist on the Johnny Allan. Damon! I've got to find that record right now and listen to it.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

[quote="Stathamender
It's on that great collection of swamp rock that the late Charlie Gillet put together Another Saturday Night, [/quote]

Yes, I've got a vinyl copy somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.

Apologies for straying off track of the original subject Scott.

Pete

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I hadn't heard of the Woolrich shirt before, but I usually wear similar shirts by Orvis for fishing. The only problem with buying Orvis is working out the sizes...an American market XL is equivalent to about XXXL when it's been made for Europe.....

All the dafter since they are invariably made in Bangladesh or India........nice cotton though!

I'd be wary of baseball caps though, no protection for the ears and a sure way to a BCC or Rodent skin cancer:

http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk ... inoma.aspx

It's really common amongst those who spend a lot of time outdoors.....

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Nobby wrote:I hadn't heard of the Woolrich shirt before, but I usually wear similar shirts by Orvis for fishing. The only problem with buying Orvis is working out the sizes...an American market XL is equivalent to about XXXL when it's been made for Europe.....

All the dafter since they are invariably made in Bangladesh or India........nice cotton though!
I've found that as well! The medium is bloody massive, and I am a big medium
And yes. The cotton is supurb!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Shirt came today, tried it on, it's UNWEARABLE!!! It's so itchy it's like wearing a midge's nest!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Try a long wash...it might just be factory 'dressing' making it scratchy.......

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Scott wrote:Shirt came today, tried it on, it's UNWEARABLE!!! It's so itchy it's like wearing a midge's nest!

I`ve found all shirts and trousers with a high woollen content, itch like bugger, that's why I prefer/wear cotton based......

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”