Floppy brim bush hat

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Stathamender
Tench

Floppy brim bush hat

Post by Stathamender »

I used to have one of these 50 years ago largely because I'd seen a photo of Dick Walker wearing one, since I started fishing again I've been looking around for another one but like a lot of other genuine (as distinct from replica) army surplus stuff (M-65 combat jackets, lightweight camo blouses, army shirts) they've become difficult to find in recent years. The current army version (sold on sites like this: http://www.ex-mod-textiles.com/) is now camo not green. There's upmarket versions of them sold in places like Black's but for upwards of £20 which is too much (I think I might have been living in Yorkshire for too long). I also find it difficult getting a proper fit having a funny shaped head which needs at least 58-59 cm above the eyebrows.

Anyway, dropped in at my local T J Hughes yesterday and found this for £6.99.

The brand name is Harvey James and you can also find them on the bay for a similar price, along with a similar material nebber. It's a lighter grade of material than I remember the originals being and it's claimed to be waxed and showerproof. Only one way to test that:

You may think this a tad excessive but you wouldn't if, like me, you'd spent your childhood and adolescence in the Black Pudding Triangle (an area bounded by Accrington, Blackburn and Burnley) where the rain comes down in stair-rods, especially in what passes for summer. The end result is:

So not really very proofed (it was quite damp through afterwards) but a bargain as a sun hat and can probably be more thoroughly proofed by spraying with some relevant substance.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Paul D

Re: Floppy brim bush hat

Post by Paul D »

Fine hat Sir, try Barbour thorn proof dressing, I've treated two of my so called waterproof hats with it and they are now just about Tsunami proof! :Hat:

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I can recommend the Tilley Hats, I got one around 20 years ago when I went to Canada on holiday.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Woodytia wrote:I can recommend the Tilley Hats, I got one around 20 years ago when I went to Canada on holiday.
Bit pricy for me and, the dealbreaker, Richard Walker didn't wear one.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's quite a few styles that get called 'bush hats', but a good few are almost brimless beanie hats and little use to an angler. Fewer still are waterproof...though Total Fishing Gear do one...but it's in 'cammo'

About the best, in the original wide-brimmed style, with a neck cord too is by Sealskinz.

It isn't cheap...nothing good ever is, but this is the cheapest site I could find:

http://www.pri.uk.com/waterproof-bush-h ... skinz.html

The Large equates to59cm.

Under half the price of the Tilley and far more in keeping with Dick Walkers trusty titfer...though in truth, I have pictures of him in every hat imaginable, including a felt fedora.

Take your pick:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bush+ ... alker+avon :Hahaha:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Thanks for these contributions. Until I looked at those photos I didn't really realise that what Walker appears to have worn most was a brown oval felt hat that probably originated as a normal 'street' hat (a bit like the one worn by middle to late period Yates) rather than the round, green, cotton Army Surplus style. Where did I get the idea from? I think it must have been either from an Angling Times piece he wrote or Still Water Angling. And there were a lot of the round green ones around in the mid 60s after the end of the Malayan 'emergency'.

I'll persist with the one I've got with a liberal coating of Nikwax or some such. The hat, not me, being as I'm from NE Lancs I'm already completely waterproof to a depth of 30 metres.

Although there's a place I know in Nice which does the oval felt ones for 40€ so I might try there.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”