Fishing Waistcoats

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Fishing Waistcoats

Post by Mark »

Do any of you chaps use a fishing waistcoat when coarse fishing, I use to use one a few years ago and I am considering getting another one.

Can anyone recommend a good fishing waistcoat, I have been looking at these Snowbee Prestige Long Fly Fishing Waistcoats but I am not sure if all the pockets would be of use for coarse fishing.

Handy for a catapult

The return of Snowbee's original English style Long Fly Fishing Waistcoat but with a modern twist. Over the past 10 to15 years Snowbee have all adopted the American style ‘mid-length’ fly vests which double as bank or wading vests. However, they are constantly asked by bank anglers for a long style waistcoat, so here it is! It’s based on their original model from many years ago, but updated with new materials, new pocket designs and modern features. It’s sure to become a top-seller to the reservoir or bank angler.

Made from a hard-wearing polyester cotton with a brushed outer surface. The shoulders are re-enforced with matching corduroy, which helps spread the load. Velcro epaulettes lock fishing bag straps in place, so they don’t slide off while walking. For extra warmth there is a thick, brushed cotton check lining and all the perimeter hems are re-enforced with leatherette trim for extra wear. An inside waist adjuster cord with toggle-loks ensures a snug fit.

A total of thirteen front flap, pouch and zipped pockets provide ample storage for fly boxes, leader material, floatants, sinkants and accessories, plus concealed ethafoam fly holder. Inside there are a further three secure pockets for licence, wallet car keys etc, plus pen pockets.

On the back is a large zipped pocket for a waterproof etc, plus a priest pocket, just where you need it on the right hip. Front rod loop and Velcro tab, plus one rear and two front D-rings for landing nets, zingers & accessories.

Front zip and stud fastener.
Thirteen front flaps, pouch and zipped pockets.
Three secure pockets inside.
Large zipped pocket and a priest pocket on the back.
Front rod loop and Velcro tab, plus one rear and two front D-rings for landing nets, zingers and accessories.
Front zip and stud fastener.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Fishing Waistcoats

Post by Marc »

When I started out I had a one all the time. Standard green job, like Wilson used to where, but haven't for a while. Still have it somewhere, along with an upgrade when I got a bit taller and broader. They're handy when wondering rivers but I rarely wear one now. I have a tweed shooting waistcoat that I wear when it's a bit chilly, but hasn't got the sheep wool fly patch (well fake sheep wool) or as many pockets.

This is the one I have now, it's the Sherwood Forest Windsor.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I often wear a John Wilson waist coat that I bought in the early nineties! And now I nearly have a fully grey / white beard to match!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I do have a fishing waistcoat...... somewhere but find my faithful Barbour far more useful :Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have used the same long Hardys fly fishing waistcoat for the last ten years and it Holds everything I need for fly fishing and its is also showerproof.I think it cost £60 from the Glasgow Angling Centre.I also bought an unused England's fly fishing waistcoat from Ebay for £5.Its long like the Hardy but you can zip off the bottom section so you can use it for wading.I have yet to use but it's ready when I have worn out the Hardy!
Mark Davies

Flickem
Minnow

Post by Flickem »

I like the Snowbee ones Mark. Mine isnt the design shown, but for travelling light, its just the job and in this weather, its not too hot.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Evening Mark.

Surprisingly in my early fishing days I always wore a waistcoat. Until I recognized that I never had any fishing equipment in it so somewhen I gave up on it.
Nowadays using the old style fishing with only one rod sometimes having from a tree over my river I think I should get back to one of these. I even have one with an inflatable rescue tube but I rather would like a waxed as Leigh is using. Unfortunately not available anymore except size S...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I also have an old John Wilson one which I wore to the recent TF crucian trip, it's a little tight these days but I still cherish it.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you for the advise and comments chaps. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”