John wilson waders

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

John wilson waders

Post by Match Aerial »

Hi

Does any of you guys know where I can get some of the John Wilson type short wader please.
They don't have to be the masterline ones

Thanks in advance

MA

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Re: John wilson waders

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Didn't he simply cut down his thigh waders to just above the knee?

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Masterline are the only ready prepared ones I ever saw during my 25 years behind the tackle shop counter. Personally I simply cut my own, did it with more than one pair and found them so much nicer to wear than full thigh waders rolled down. They obviously give a little deeper paddling allowance than wellies but not as deep as full thigh but the all important 'dry knees' when kneeling down in wet grass. I've always been surprised that I don't see others on the bank with doctored waders.

First pair I cut down was for fishing the River Teign and River Bovey in Devon. I used to walk miles up and down the banks of both rivers. Normal wellies were never quite long enough to cross the river in places for a better angle yet full waders were simply a pig to walk a long way in. Cutting a pair down level with the back of my knee so they didn't stick in whilst kneeling but leaving sufficient at the front to kneel on and suddely they were transformed into something I could walk a long way in. You would be amazed how much weight is seemingly removed when doing this with the rubber Streamfisher and Keenfisher type rubber waders.

I guess less of an issue these days with the more modern and lighter breathable waders.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Thanks guys

Looks like I will have to go down the root of cutting the tops of some rubber waders

Thank you very much for the help lads
Cheers MA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The ones I have cut down have never torn or anything - rubber can be tough old stuff.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Thanks Shaun

I will take your advice

Cheers m8

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I'd love a pair of these. I'm always getting wet knees. But I cannot justify to myself buying a pair just to cut them up. How much would I be looking at to buy waders anyway?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Just been having a look myself MD, the best I can find for new rubber ones is about £30 mate

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

That's not so bad.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Anglingbear
Silver Bream

Post by Anglingbear »

VASS and DAIWA make them, both available from angling direct. I tired both on, but went with VASS, they were substantially more comfy, and fitted a lot better than the DAIWA, the clips and general quality was much higher, although they were x 2 the price of the DAIWA.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”