How old is your hat

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Mark
Head Bailiff

How old is your hat

Post by Mark »

How old is your hat.

The oldest hat I have is 19 years old, a dearstalker worn here by my Grandson when the hat was only 12 years old.

This is my favourite hat which is only 5 years old. Up until last week it had one of those horrible sweat band marks around the rim that I had tried to wash and scrub out many times but to no avail. But last week I suddenly remembered that I had read somewhere (not sure if it was on the here) that the best way to remove a sweat band mark was to put the hat in the dishwasher. Well I eventually plucked up courage and decided to try this out when the good lady was out and bugger me it worked, not a sweat band in sight.

I'm sure some of you chaps can beat my 19 year old hat.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul D

Re: How old is your hat

Post by Paul D »

Got a Tilley (T4 ?) had it around 14 years I think, rest of my collection are probably under 5 years old. :Hat:

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Im more of a cap person. I wear them till there is no model in them anymore or are destroyed in the wash. Most of the time this is within the year.
I recently bought a flat cap (i think half a year ago) and is my official fishing cap. We will see how long it will live.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

My current one (in my avatar) is about 15 years old. Still going strong if a little faded by the sun
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Hmmm
Not sure if I would put my hat in the dishwasher. I was hoping the sweat marks would add a bit of character to it and a sort of lived in look!!
I admit I am trying to convince myself as it is so comfortable!
Dave@ Hastings

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have a waxed Barbour hat bought in 1995 from a shop in Darlington for £10, which still gets some use, though it's a bit tight now. It's at my mothers house else I'd add a picture of it, this is what it looks like. Making the hat 20 this year, damn I'm old.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Apart from some inherited hats (a tweed cap and 1940's leather flying helmet from Mrs. AC's father, and a 1920's straw boater from her grandfather ... sadly, all too small for me), the oldest hat I have is a waxed flat cap bought at a country fair in 1983 or 84.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Paul D wrote:Got a Tilley (T4 ?) had it around 14 years I think, rest of my collection are probably under 5 years old. :Hat:
Got a Tilley, 14 months old rest are probably 35yrs plus. I hope to age the Tilley in the same way over the same time frame!
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The oldest I still wear is a Deerstalker I purchased in 1990 so only 25 years.

I wear Tweed caps a lot but my earlier ones have been and gone.

Sorry about the modern gear from 25 years ago but I'd not long had my first Flapped Deerstalker back then and I have always liked the picture which ended up on the front cover of a certain publication if anyone remembers it?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I've just gone over to wearing a flat cap, I must admit they are very comfy and make good fly swatters.

Wal.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”