How old is your tweed jacket?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: How old is your tweed jacket?

Post by Rutland Rod »

It's a Harris Tweed Herringbone bought about 1980 from Dunns in Leicester, has been worn for all thoughts of things from cold picket lines / fishing to today's pic taken whilst hunting with the Westerby Bassets Hounds in South Leics on a glorious winters day, it's in good nick apart from the lining which is falling to bits but it's very warm and ideal for getting through hedges etc
Tight lines Dave

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Nice one Dave! Is that your allotment? If so I'm jealous. A fine jacket from new, especially that old is a hell of a treasure....

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Northern_Nomad wrote:Well mine is a few years old. A classic 3 button ageless design, a ventless jacket in a dark pattern with a multicoloured check overlay.

As they say quality counts and a good 100% wool jacket always holds its shape, even when thrown in the back of the car for weeks on end. A good cut from a good tailor always comes up trumps. You put it on, it hangs correctly and is comfotable like a second skin.

Mine isn't for fishing, that's what my Barbour is for.

I went through a stage a few years ago when it seemed to shrink!! I was then ill for a few months and it seemed to grow!! Now I have stabilised at the weight I first bought it at..and lo and behold it has stopped moving.

And what goes around comes around, and they are back in fashion again. Would cost a fair few quid to buy today. Trendy Hipsters would pay a large wad of folding stuff for a good quality Harris.

Not sure about the hankie but another example of how nice a 'Harris' can be. I'm kicking myself more and more about one I walked past in the charity shop. To add to the angst I noticed for the first time mine came from Burton's ... Sort of the Lidls of tailoring. I think I'll request a change of name on here to the 'Tacky Angler'.....

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Rutland Rod wrote:Image
It's a Harris Tweed Herringbone bought about 1980 from Dunns in Leicester, has been worn for all thoughts of things from cold picket lines / fishing to today's pic taken whilst hunting with the Westerby Bassets Hounds in South Leics on a glorious winters day, it's in good nick apart from the lining which is falling to bits but it's very warm and ideal for getting through hedges etc
Tight lines Dave
I wish it was my allotment ! this bit of country looks a bit featureless and has a lot of large wind turbines but we saw several Hares and one Fox, as with fishing you get to go on land when hunting that you'd have no reason (or permission) to ever visit it, and we finished the day at the kennels with Cottage Pie and loads of tea and cake, felt knackered when I got home !

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”