How old is your tweed jacket?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: How old is your tweed jacket?

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have a new one that I haven't worn yet..... For some reason it seems to have shrunk a bit. ...I'm hoping it will expand again in the new year
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

The history of wool is up and down. Lattery they just had to burn them, the price was so low. Common sense is back in fashion and a fleece gives a decent price to a farmer now. About time too! What nonsense that such a fine product is so dependant on fickle fashions....
Last edited by Beryl on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Hence stick with Barbour !

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Barbulus wrote:Hence stick with Barbour !
I agree to a point.... there are times when only a Barbour will do, yes they can smell a bit (or is that just mine?) and they do look better the older they get but sometimes tweed just "looks" right.
I seem to remember a couple of years ago a few chaps on here bought Norfolk jackets from somewhere?? To my mind probably a perfect compromise :Hat:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Nice jackets, one of mine,not very old.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Barbulus wrote:Hence stick with Barbour !
Support your local sheep! The Barbour is cotton and that comes, in its finest form, from Egypt ; a rather flaky country presently. I've used my poor quality tweed in rain and it hasn't been too bad in just shower conditions.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

I would not want to be out in a thunder storm in my tweed but in cold or showery weather fine , I always carry a Gortex shell jacket in my bag just in case . As for barbour jackets , I think like most things these days quality has dropped . I found sleeves would always crack on the creases and yes I always re proofed mine to keep the cotton supple and water proof but that did not help much and seemed to wash off quicker than the old type of barbour re proofing even though I applied it as suggested and melted on . Tweed does have its good and bad points I agree , its main bad ones are in heavy rain and brambles but it does stay warm when wet its quieter than waxed cotton too , it is available in different colours to match each season and in my opinion looks good . I think you always look more approachable in tweed , I do know people make assumptions of you when you present yourself in camouflaged clothing . Kindest regards Woolly Bear .

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A new acquisition winging it's way to me ... not to be resisted as I have recently bought a moleskin waistcoat of the colour on the dummy (and the first one to say 'it will soon be worn by a dummy' will have to pay a fine ... ok Loop ???) ... especially as the price including delivery was £13.99p !!! Harris Tweed 100% wool ... not sure of it's age, but I'm guessing 70's. Maybe not for the bank, perhaps ... but Redditch in spring ???

Now ... I feel a carvatte coming on !!! :Wink:

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

AshbyCut wrote:A new acquisition winging it's way to me ... not to be resisted as I have recently bought a moleskin waistcoat of the colour on the dummy (and the first one to say 'it will soon be worn by a dummy' will have to pay a fine ... ok Loop ???) ... especially as the price including delivery was £13.99p !!! Harris Tweed 100% wool ... not sure of it's age, but I'm guessing 70's. Maybe not for the bank, perhaps ... but Redditch in spring ???

Now ... I feel a Cravat coming on !!! :Wink:

Respect! I've not been on here long but that is fine contribution on the humour side :Hahaha:

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Well mine is a few years old. A classic 3 button ageless design, a ventless jacket in a dark pattern with a multicoloured check overlay.

As they say quality counts and a good 100% wool jacket always holds its shape, even when thrown in the back of the car for weeks on end. A good cut from a good tailor always comes up trumps. You put it on, it hangs correctly and is comfotable like a second skin.

Mine isn't for fishing, that's what my Barbour is for.

I went through a stage a few years ago when it seemed to shrink!! I was then ill for a few months and it seemed to grow!! Now I have stabilised at the weight I first bought it at..and lo and behold it has stopped moving.

And what goes around comes around, and they are back in fashion again. Would cost a fair few quid to buy today. Trendy Hipsters would pay a large wad of folding stuff for a good quality Harris.

"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”