How old is your tweed jacket?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Beryl

How old is your tweed jacket?

Post by Beryl »

No idea! It's of no great quality and I can't remember buying it. I do know I have always had one since late adolescence. My 'cool' look at tech college, pretending to take 'A-levels' was said item with jeans, a roll neck sweater and desert boots. A forest of blondish hair, well over the collar didn't do my dads blood pressure any favours.... I was gorgeous!

Still have the hair but the looks and body have faded somewhat. In fifty years of continuous ownership I have had three. That says something for their durablity, not that they wore out, just replaced. The current one, though unremarkable, has seven pockets. More than enough to carry out small stream fishing of any sort. I'll post a pic in good light and hope others will do the same...

PS: I did have a top quality one briefly I haven't included. If was probably very water-repellent but hugely stiff. You would need a servant to break it in over a couple of years. Also came across a Harris in a charity shop for twenty quid. Lovely thing but the same issue

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: How old is your tweed jacket?

Post by Santiago »

I've never had one. And now struggling to understand why your dad's blood pressure was so high due to you wearing one!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I think it was the forrest of blondish hair over the collar that may have been the issue .....rather than the jacket
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

My oldest one was purchased second hand back in the mid eighties, so age unknown.... it's dog tooth pattern and gets an outing usually down to the pub at least once a week at this time of the year. I have a couple of others which I tend to keep for special occasions. I must admit to being very fond of tweed jackets, but usually wear a barbour whilst out fishing, just for the practicality......

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

RBTraditional wrote:My oldest one was purchased second hand back in the mid eighties, so age unknown.... it's dog tooth pattern and gets an outing usually down to the pub at least once a week at this time of the year. I have a couple of others which I tend to keep for special occasions. I must admit to being very fond of tweed jackets, but usually wear a barbour whilst out fishing, just for the practicality......
A proper Barbour is a mighty thing. I've only had the proper job in motorcycle jackets. They might be cold and greasy but they do a fine job of stopping rain. Mine is still hanging in the loft as I just can't sell it despite last mounting a motorbike twenty-odd years ago. Use it for fishing? How very dare you.... But it's a point. I could always sell it to vintage motorcyclists for a fortune and by a luxury bivvy I suppose :whistle:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I'm still waiting to inherit mine but I did actually buy it for my Father around 15 years ago. It's still going strong in its dog tooth pattern but if my father wears it out then that will be great too as there is loads of life left in it.

I wear Tweed waistcoats but have never owned a Tweed coat.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

A barbour is indeed the proper job.....I'd not wear an imitation anymore than drive a wannabe Landrover....and they do go very well together....
Back to the tweed.....just remembered that I have a matching waistcoat for one of the jackets....a phone cover, I pad cover and a hip flask clad in tweed.....so yes I must be a fan :Chuckle:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I possess 2 tweed jackets, first one pictured is a fairly recent purchase from that well known auction site, it was badly described hence I was the only bidder(£13.50 I think), never worn despite being at least 25 years old and is a genuine Harris tweed.
Second one was a Christmas present from matron a few years back, cost a bloody fortune but is very heavy duty.
I do tend to wear my beloved Barbour when fishing, its just so practical. :Hat:

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I'm still waiting to inherit mine but I did actually buy it for my Father around 15 years ago. It's still going strong in its dog tooth pattern but if my father wears it out then that will be great too as there is loads of life left in it.

I wear Tweed waistcoats but have never owned a Tweed coat.

It's incredibly durable. My old dads hat, on the other thread, must be fifty years old. I remember him wearing way back and sure I have it in photos I can date roughly. It's not favoured in anyway. The cat knocked it onto the kitchen floor two days ago. It would probably still be there if I didn't need it for the photo in thread mentioned.

That first pic is so close to what I nearly bought. Their mix of threads is so nice to the eye.( Paul D's post)

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

As mentioned, nothing special. Spot the nymphs?

A couple of home grown 24's and 21 emerger...

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”