Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Looks like an ABU.

Out of curiosity I have just browsed the Barbour website. It's all rubbish. No wonder the vintage jackets are being advertised on ebay. I must look after mine better.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

.......and I am now the owner of a Beaufort for £22 :-)

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SofaSurfer wrote:.......and I am now the owner of a Beaufort for £22 :-)
:shocked: mines 10 years old and I paid £200. when new, you've just bought a true bargain Sir :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Paul D wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:49 pm What a fine advert, thanks for that........ now who can name the reel in the picture? :Hat:
Must be an Abu 507 (when the photograph is mirrored) or the left-hand version which should have the name 508?
Treated myself to yet another used Barbour: Beaufort C44 as my C42 Beaufort is a tad small in winter with a thick under layer.
So far I do have the Spey, 2x Beaufort (one will be for angling, the better one is kept and used within city), 2x Border (same as for the Beaufort), Burghley which I keep in the car together with a pair of Barbour chaps and a Bedale that is sometimes worn by my wife. All of them have the green/yellow tartan lining of the old days. Outstanding quality and will be worn by my son at some point, I am sure.
I do use (and love) the padded storm hood which I had to get off the UK as it seems they are not available in Germany. Had to order another as I hate to switch them between the Border and Beaufort. You may think I'd need at least 4 then? True...but ...nah... :Chuckle:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Gentlemen

The New (old) Barbour Solway Jacket in the above thread is too big for me so I have reluctantly decided to sell it on. It is unworn (apart from trying it on) and as pictured above. It cost me £100 plus p&p and that's what I would like for it please. I am a 44 chest and so I think it would fit 46-48 chest. Please message me if you are interested.

Thanks

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Mercman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:22 pm Gentlemen

The New (old) Barbour Solway Jacket in the above thread is too big for me so I have reluctantly decided to sell it on. It is unworn (apart from trying it on) and as pictured above. It cost me £100 plus p&p and that's what I would like for it please. I am a 44 chest and so I think it would fit 46-48 chest. Please message me if you are interested.

Thanks
Shame it doesn't fit, a bargain for someone, well under half the price and as you mentioned earlier much better quality than the current one. :Hat:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

In 1973/74 I bought a Solway Zipper, and wore it almost daily, it was rewaxed lots over the years, ,and took on that " look" that only age could give it..It just kept going, but eventually time took its toll, the material began to show signs of " extreme " wear, the cuffs had completeley gone, I had sewn the hood on as it was always getting pulled off by brambles and branches, there was a considerable tear ( repaired) across the back where it had come off second best with barbed wire fence, the elbows had worn though their second patching,the lining was torn/worn in several places, it leaked like a sieve as waxing can only do so much, it cant seal holes and all in all it had had it . It was consigned to the cupboard under the stairs,and for five years was forgotten about , then SWMBO found it and it reached the bin, luckily I rescued it, had a nostalgic
moment, wiped my tears away and phoned Barbour up with a view to getting it repaired . When I explained the minor repairs the very polite technician laughed, told me that it was basically a write off and I should consider getting a new one .
Anyway, I bunged it on the "bay", and instead of getting thrown away,it was sold for £50.00! which was just about what I paid for it in the first place as far as I can remember.I dont know what the buyer was thinking when he bid on it, but he seemed very pleased with his purchase.
They seem to hold their value well. Anyway, with the cash from the sale I went and purchased a Barbour " UK made " lookalike" which has served me very well over the last ten years, with rewaxing it has done well so far, so all in all maybe its the name that sells the garment, but a good uk made copy of similar material has practically the same wearability without the provenance.

I wish this thread had not been started, I am getting misty eyed and wanting another Solway Zipper , if I do get one, it will probably see me out!

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

My Barbours must be 15-20 years old. The first is the Stockman Full Length. The reason I chose this style of coat, is that 90% plus of my fishing is wandering up & down rivers and streams, so I rarely I sit down, long wellies keep the feet/shins dry and the coat leg straps, keep the bottom of the coat in place. Combine that with the hood and its magic... Plus it makes a great blanket/cover to sit on, when the grass is damp....
My second Barbour is a Beaufort, better for sitting down etc, but also not bad for wandering as I store most of my odds & sods in the poachers pocket at the rear. Ample pockets inside & out, again OK with the hood.. I think they are great coats in the damp & wet, but not for very cold, artic days & nights, more suitable clothing is available.....

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Mercman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:22 pm Gentlemen

Thanks
Isn't there a C... number named in the jacket to exactly know its size? :Hat:
Sorry to hear that it doesn't suit you.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

By the way a question chaps as I read here so much about the thicker quality of a Solway Zipper. Is the Solway in sage green in any way thicker than a Border?

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”