Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Post by Northern_Nomad »

My first jacket was a fly weight, unlined Durham which I bought as a teenager for fishing in 1973. I've still got it!! That's 42 years ago!!!!!

The next one was a Beaufort in early 80's which I flogged on eBay a few years ago when it no longer fitted. The cash from the sale went towards a near new Moorland coat which I had until about 4 years ago, sold for the same reason Somewhere along the same time I also bought a new Beaufort which I still have and use with a thermal liner. The new one is not of the same quality of the earlier ones, but it does the job.

So for the last 40 odd years I have never been without one.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Just got my first, a Beaufort in brown for the princely sum of £28. Well pleased with it.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Just got my first, a Beaufort in brown for the princely sum of £28. Well pleased with it.
Utter bargain! A new one is currently over 200 pounds and nowhere as nice looking as one that has seen some use, posh city types pay a premium for worn Barbours .
Just realised I've seen yours Stu and for £28. you should be pleased :Thumb:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Green Gamefair for the field, blue Beaufort for the city!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Oh well - another Barbour to add to my pair.

A new 'Duke' fashion type will do nicely for the office.

Christmas and Barbour just can't get enough :tea:
niceroach

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

For traditional I love the old belted Solway Zipper, but also love wearing my Cowens too

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

Having just watched 'Anglers Corner' with Bernard Venables fishing for roach, I'm pretty sure he is wearing a Solway Zipper in that funnily enough!

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

I have two Barbours, had both since the early 1980s - a Northumbria (the only brown one they produced at the time), and Gamefair (green of course). I have a spare Gamefair, refurbed by Barbour a few years back - pm if interested.

John.

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

I have just bought (an old) new, unworn Barbour Solway zipper for £100 from the auction site, Never owned one before hoping it will be warm and dry for this winters fishing. I went for an older one as I read they are far better quality than the new ones is this correct?

Also reading online it seems that they are not too warm and I hate being cold, can anyone comment on this at all?

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Warmer, a lot warmer with a thin down/thermolight jacket underneath.
These Airflo jackets are very warm and inexpensive,i have been wearing one over a shirt in the late afternoons lately when it gets a bit chilly and it has been excellent,very light but very warm and would easily fit under a Barbour for the winter.I had to buy another as my son came home from abroad and thinks it is freezing here already and claimed it.
If you buy from the link the price is 24.99,if you buy from them on ebay the price is 39.99 .
http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fleece ... /yes/89319

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”