Barbour Dry Fly Restoration.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Scott
Tench

Barbour Dry Fly Restoration.

Post by Scott »

We are treated to quite a few tackle restoration reports on here, not something I'm very good at but I did a restoration job myself today, on a Barbour Dry Fly coat. It'd spent a year or two under the stairs and had unfortunately gathered some mould and a bit of a pong (I live in a very old cottage and fight a losing battle against damp).

So I stuck it in the wash removing mould and previous wax. Then it was a full re-wax with Barbour's own wax then a hair drier finish. Quite happy with the outcome, returned to its former glory...

Robbi
Tench

Re: Barbour Dry Fly Restoration.

Post by Robbi »

Ooooh that's a lovely jacket :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

You've made a nice job of that Scott, is it very old? Never seen one before. :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Scott wrote:We are treated to quite a few tackle restoration reports on here, not something I'm very good at but I did a restoration job myself today, on a Barbour Dry Fly coat. It'd spent a year or two under the stairs and had unfortunately gathered some mould and a bit of a pong (I live in a very old cottage and fight a losing battle against damp).

So I stuck it in the wash removing mould and previous wax. Then it was a full re-wax with Barbour's own wax then a hair drier finish. Quite happy with the outcome, returned to its former glory...

Now there's a job I need to do,may I ask about the hair dryer finish. Is it to help the wax into the weave?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

A very nice jacket, I've never seen one either :-)

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Paul D wrote:You've made a nice job of that Scott, is it very old? Never seen one before. :Hat:
I think this particular model came out about ten years ago. I think the 'Spey' was reissued and updated at the same time as it looked exactly the same but a shorter wading jacket.

The Spey and the Dry Fly came out again about 5 years ago but they were made from thin nylon, horrible.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Harry H wrote:
Scott wrote:We are treated to quite a few tackle restoration reports on here, not something I'm very good at but I did a restoration job myself today, on a Barbour Dry Fly coat. It'd spent a year or two under the stairs and had unfortunately gathered some mould and a bit of a pong (I live in a very old cottage and fight a losing battle against damp).

Now there's a job I need to do,may I ask about the hair dryer finish. Is it to help the wax into the weave?

Indeed Harry. After the wax has been rubbed on with a cloth the jacket is very greasy and wet looking. The hair drier melts the wax into the weave, the jacket becomes drier and takes on an even finish. Took me a good 3 hours to complete. Used a little over half a tin of Barbour's own wax, so a fairly cheap job at £10 a tin....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That's the method I use apart from I ask the boss to wear it while I go round with the hairdryer. A bit of a messy job but worthwhile doing. :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I've often been tempted to wash my Barbour in the machine, the instruction say not to though. Has anyone else machine washed their Barbour successfully?
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Jeremy Croxall wrote:I've often been tempted to wash my Barbour in the machine, the instruction say not to though. Has anyone else machine washed their Barbour successfully?
Jeremy.

Well that's exactly what I did here, it came out feeling very rough and dry (after it had dried) and was quite patchy. After this waxing it seems as new. I had nothing to lose, it was either the washing machine or the bin, glad I went with it... :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”