Breeks

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Paul D

Breeks

Post by Paul D »

Gentlemen, do any of you wear Breaks or plus fours? I am seriously considering buy a pair despite my wife comments ( not very favourable). Do you find them comfortable and or practical? :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Breeks

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Much more comfortable when wearing wellies/waders, rather than having excess trouser leg wrapped around your leg. Tend to get silly sniggers and comments though when you stop off at the garage on your way home if the wellies have been removed, otherwise people don't usually notice.

I used to salmon fish a fair bit and would feel odd at times in conventional trousers as most would be in breeks.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Cheers Shaun, silly sniggers etc go right over my head so that really doesn't bother me. :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I have spent my life trying awfully hard to not conform to anything that is considered the norm'. :Ok:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There are various and sundry photos with yours truly in either moleskin or tweed breeches floating around the TFF ... and I love them. Cool in summer ... warm in autumn ... no damp trouser legs flapping about ... and I've never noticed a snigger (though that may be a result of the tinitus these days !!!). They are my trouserings for choice for angling.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I totally agree with Shaun although not wearing them. "Yet" maybe. I always feel uncomfortable and annoyed when stuffing my leg into the wellies. When walking it also appears that the trouser leg is turning. Doesn't it look more silly and is even more annoying to sort that every time? Maybe I should consider wearing the, too.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

OldTackle wrote:I totally agree with Shaun although not wearing them. "Yet" maybe. I always feel uncomfortable and annoyed when stuffing my leg into the wellies. When walking it also appears that the trouser leg is turning. Doesn't it look more silly and is even more annoying to sort that every time? Maybe I should consider wearing the, too.
Exactly the reason I asked the question Chris, think I will go and try a pair on, thanks for your advice gents :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Do you know the name Hugh Falkus Paul? I found one of his instruction videos when searching for Spey casting. Have a look at what he wears :Chuckle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XfBVc2Ky0
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

One thing to consider Paul, Sir ... the length and style of the socks you wear with them. 'Standard' knee length socks can be just a tad short ... but a good quality rugby sock or ... as I have discovered even better ... a good kilt sock can be pulled up over the knee to prevent the dreaded 'gap.'

Until I can stretch the pension to afford all wool ones ... I have found these both excellent, available in different colours, and very reasonable priced :-

http://www.thescotlandkiltcompany.co.uk ... ttle-green
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Brilliant Chris :Thumb:
Thank you Mal, you must have read my mind, I was just considering that very subject, I presume Breeks are all one length? I take a 32" waist with 32" legs in "normal" trousers. One more thing, are Breeks in reality Scottish plus fours? Only on here could one have a earnest discussion about trousers.. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”