Breeks

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Breeks

Post by AshbyCut »

As I understand it ... 'Plus Fours' are 'breeks' which extend 4 inches below the knee ... hence the name. I've found that these days breek' or 'breeches' is a 'generic' term for any style 'short' trousers for country pursuits. I hope that helps Paul, Sir.

I tend towards the traditional breek ... rather than the more 'baggy' golfers 'Plus Four.'
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

There are leather ones which are pretty common in south Germany near the alps, Paul. Would be more some sort of a second skin. Tough, rugged, weatherproof. Mountaineers stair on them. Naked legs or wool socks that would go over your knee and are locked with the trouser...
I would consider such a leather one and would wear my Polartec underwear trouser underneath and normal socks instead of long knew-socks. Think of it...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I bought some breeks for last season. Thick tweed, lined and with adjustable knees. waterproof, thistle and stinging nettle proof. Excellent. They wash well. Much more comfortable than conventional trousers, highly recommended :-)

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

OldTackle wrote:Do you know the name Hugh Falkus Paul? I found one of his instruction videos when searching for Spey casting. Have a look at what he wears :Chuckle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XfBVc2Ky0
I caught my very first salmon on that Knott End Beat of the River Esk.

Spent a bit of time there. It was also the first time I got drunk in the morning on whisky due to Hugh's insistence in the hut there whilst being 'talked at'. On that occasion, Bill Arnold had recently purchased the cottage and accompanying beat from the very impressively chested Georgina, so Hugh no longer had to poach what he used to refer to as his rive as Bill had taken to Hugh and sorted the casting lakes out for his use.

Back on track, Asby Cut is right about the Plus 4's being 4" below the knee the same as Plus 2's being 2" below, both are usually elasticated at the leg, thus the often used phrase 'stoppers' if you'll excuse my use of common terminology. Breeks on the other hand usually have Velcro or buckle fastenings on the leg.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I picked up a pair of lightweight Barbour numbers for £7 from their factory store in South Shields (worth a visit if ever in the north east). I think they look the dogs thingies but the Mrs don't like them, won't be seen with me if I wear them. I've heard they work well with willies, I'll have to try that combo. I usually wear mine with low boots or shoes. Thanks for the heads up on those socks AC sir :Hat:
Shaun Harrison wrote: I caught my very first salmon on that Knott End Beat of the River Esk.

Spent a bit of time there. It was also the first time I got drunk in the morning on whisky due to Hugh's insistence in the hut there whilst being 'talked at'. On that occasion, Bill Arnold had recently purchased the cottage and accompanying beat from the very impressively chested Georgina, so Hugh no longer had to poach what he used to refer to as his rive as Bill had taken to Hugh and sorted the casting lakes out for his use.
YOU FISHED WITH HUGH FALKUS?!?!? Wow! Tell us more! I loved/love his book, Some of it Was Fun, a re-reader if ever there was one. Unfortunately I've heard that the shooting in Eskdale has stopped, the ramblers and the RSPB have put a stop to years of tradition and culture.... :hairpull:

I love the upper Esk, the wild part looked down upon by Hard Knott Fort. I once lay looking over a cliff down into a deep pool at a large sea trout, 5-6lb I reckon, must have watched that fish for hours. Went snorkelling in some of those deep pools one scorching summer, they seemed quite barren, only saw some tiny brownies.

:Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Scott wrote:I've heard they work well with willies
You didn't hear it from me, Sir !!! :Chuckle:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

AshbyCut wrote:
Scott wrote:I've heard they work well with willies
You didn't hear it from me, Sir !!! :Chuckle:

How embarrassing! Flipping auto correct!

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

I've two pairs coupled with waistcoat and jacket... All from my falconry days... Very comfortable when walking and very countryfied ... Best worn in the dales or when pursuing a noble quarry ... Those who fish for coarse' fish wouldn't be seen dead in them ....
However I disagree .. Bending cane is indeed a noble sport for any piscator and the quarry should be respected ... I dare say on most river these days you'd only get sniggers from the real tree wearing barbel bashing brigade .... BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Thanks for the advice chaps, as soon as funds allow I'll get a pair, really not to worried about sniggers etc just thought they looked practical. The comments about tucking trousers into wellies are spot on. :Hat:

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

I concur with AC about the socks. A wearer of breeks myself, I know only too well how important it is to wear over-the-knee length socks with them. They are readily available from most good shooting suppliers. Breeks and long socks...can't beat 'em at the waterside or in the field.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”