'Cheapish' Top of the Range Wellies.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Beryl

Re: 'Cheapish' Top of the Range Wellies.

Post by Beryl »

The sole needs to be different from the rest of the wellie. If not, okay most of the time, but you will end up on yer arse eventually. Thirty quid is the best you can get away with. These will grip on wet wood decking; my personal test for any sole material. Seven quid Dunlops are ok, but not all of the time.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Dunlops don't "pull" in this neck of the woods....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

In truth yes I have got Dunlops but I only wear them in the summer for me fishing, there green and look pretty much the same as yer average wellie :Hat:

In the deepest of winter I wear me Derri boots being a bit warmer,

I wear me boots literally every single time I go fishing throughout the whole year and can go through a couple of pairs a season so in reality there's no way I'd ever buy n use expensive boots,

I'm also very happily settled for the last 21 years so I don't need to pull :Chuckle:

Stuart

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

RBTraditional wrote:Dunlops don't "pull" in this neck of the woods....
What are you doing in the neck of the woods? Dogging :Hahaha:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

£145 for a pair o' wellies is a tad steep... I did look at these till I saw the price
£72.... :shocked: Methinks someone is taking the pee with their pricing
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Beryl wrote:
RBTraditional wrote:Dunlops don't "pull" in this neck of the woods....
What are you doing in the neck of the woods? Dogging :Hahaha:
Only on a wednesday evening!!!!!! :laugh1:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I think you have to consider how much use you'll get out of any clothing before you pitch in and buy expensive item's.....sometimes it's better to fork out a bit more to get a quality product that lasts rather than buy cheap and cheerful items several times over....

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

RBTraditional wrote:I think you have to consider how much use you'll get out of any clothing before you pitch in and buy expensive item's.....sometimes it's better to fork out a bit more to get a quality product that lasts rather than buy cheap and cheerful items several times over....

Been there done it Rob, £150 pair of hunters don't last any longer than a pair of £20 Dunlops and that is a fact, all yer paying for is the name, to tell the truth my cheap old faithful Dunlops that I use in the summer have also lasted longer than the £90 brasser boots that I used to have :Hat:

I also nik all of the rubber sole inserts out of the expensive boots that I've had and place em inside me cheaper wellies for extra comfort :Thumb:

I think a lot of the boots are way over priced for what they are :fingertap:

Stuart

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:
RBTraditional wrote:I think you have to consider how much use you'll get out of any clothing before you pitch in and buy expensive item's.....sometimes it's better to fork out a bit more to get a quality product that lasts rather than buy cheap and cheerful items several times over....

Been there done it Rob, £150 pair of hunters don't last any longer than a pair of £20 Dunlops and that is a fact, all yer paying for is the name, to tell the truth my cheap old faithful Dunlops that I use in the summer have also lasted longer than the £90 brasser boots that I used to have :Hat:

I also nik all of the rubber sole inserts out of the expensive boots that I've had and place em inside me cheaper wellies for extra comfort :Thumb:

I think a lot of the boots are way over priced for what they are :fingertap:

Stuart
A lot of truth in what you say here Stuart, the prices are getting silly now. My first pair of Le Chameaus I paid £125 and that was 8 years ago, they lasted 5 years of almost daily use then I got another 2 years out of them following some repairs done by myself, they are beyond repair now but still can be used for walking and still keep your feet dry (can still be wore down the pub :cheers: ), I'm just not able to stand in water due to the numerous leaks, so perhaps value for money given their length of service. However, that same boot has rocketed in price over the past 8 years and has more than doubled to £255! I've now bought the lower model at a more palatable £170.

The thing is I absolutely love them, they are comfortable to a fault, reliable and above all else (call me shallow), they look the business and they make me HAPPY! So, less than £30 a year for what is essentially my primary footwear isn't that bad at all really, that's the way I have to look at it, can't put a price on happiness!

All the best :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Have to agree with Scott here. I'm on my second pair of these http://www.lechameau.com/gb/bottes-chasseur-cuir.html they retail at £340.00 which I agree is ridiculous but I have never had such comfortable and such long lasting wellies. i used to use Hunters in their various forms, never enjoyed wearing them and would only wear them when I had to as I never found them comfortable to walk far or wear for long. I always ended up feeling clammy in the standard and neoprene lined versions.

In the end after chatting to lots of people who I saw wearing them I jumped in with 2 feet and went for the best I could find and for the first time ever I had a pair of wellies I could wear and remain comfortable in all day, even in the summer. My first pair lasted around 10 years and that was proper 10 hard years, not just putting them on when I wanted to show my posh boots off, it was a daily 1 hour dog walk with at least 15 minutes on concrete/pavement walking and then numerous angling trips. I fish at the very least 2 full days and at least one evening a week.

I can live with quality footwear that averages out at £30 odd a year. particularly when I gain the comfort I have gained too. More than a couple of hours in most wellies and I can't wait to get them off.

The only downside though is that once you have lived with a pair and enjoyed wearing them for that long with the distant memories of damp feet in other boots (the leather lining makes so much difference in comfort) you end up having to replace with the same and that initial outlay pinches.
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”