'Cheapish' Top of the Range Wellies.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Beryl

Re: 'Cheapish' Top of the Range Wellies.

Post by Beryl »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Have to agree with Scott here. I'm on my second pair of these https://www.williamandson.com/brands/le ... 0wodSb0LNw they retail at £340.00 which I agree is ridiculous but I have never had such comfortable and such long lasting wellies. i used to use Hunters in their various forms, never enjoyed wearing them and would only wear them when I had to as I never found them comfortable to walk far or wear for long. i always ended up feeling clammy in the standard and neoprene lined versions.

In the end after chatting to lots of people who I saw wearing them I jumped in with 2 feet and went for the best I could find and for the first time ever I had a pair of wellies I could wear and remain comfortable in all day, even in the summer. My first pair lasted around 10 years and that was proper 10 hard years, not just putting them on when I wanted to show my posh boots off, it was a daily 1 hour dog walk with at least 15 minutes on concrete/pavement walking and then numerous angling trips. I fish at the very least 2 full days and at least one evening a week.

I can live with quality footwear that averages out at £30 odd a year. particularly when I gain the comfort I have gained too. More than a couple of hours in most wellies and I can't wait to get them off.

The only downside though is that once you have lived with a pair and enjoyed wearing them for that long with the distant memories of damp feet in other boots (the leather lining makes so much difference in comfort) you end up having to replace with the same and that initial outlay pinches.
How much did it cost to get then resoled and how often? Items wear on the inside too. Pretty remarkable to ten years out of a welly I have to say...

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I never had any re-soled. the soled are in their words...

'Bi-density and resistant to abrasion, all-terrain grip'.

More information here http://www.lechameau.com/gb/bottes-chasseur-cuir.html

I certainly never managed to wear them out in 10 years plus of wearing the first pair. They ended their life when the heel started to crack at the join of the sole and the boot and eventually the heel pulled away. I did a couple of tape and Aquasure repairs and got another couple of months out of them then decided they had been such good boots and lasted so long that I would buy a second pair. this second pair should last longer still as I lost my dog last year so no longer do the hour march each morning in them.

GUARANTEE

At Le Chameau we believe in lasting quality craftsmanship, so we offer two year guarantees on all our products. But whatever the age of your boots, our After Sales Service will to its best to help you with any reparations.

REPAIR

Le Chameau boots are made to last, but should you need yours repaired, please contact us to speak to our repair service.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Hi scot and Shaun,

Well after reading both of your last posts it clearly shows that the very expensive boots are dear for a reason, that they obviously do last,
The money aspect I suppose doesn't seem as bad when you divide it between the years of use :Hat:

Must admit I do agree with Shaun regarding the hunters as being horribly uncomfortable :Thumbsdown:: I always felt as if my foot was being pushed forward from the heel and pushed against yer toes, won't be wearing those again, me cheap Dunlops are more comfortable :whistle:

However during the winter months I do wear me Derri boots which I've now had for about 5 years and are still going strong, I think they retail at about £60 odd,

In truth I'd luv to be able to afford the other highly expensive boots as probably the same for many of us have to work hard for our money and grudge paying £200 - £300 odd for wellie boots :Confused:

Stuart

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

[quote="Shaun Harrison"]I never had any re-soled. the soled are in their words...

Hate to be argumentative but that is pure sales talk nonsense, anything that moves in contact with another surface is subject to a little thing called friction. Unless you stood still in them for ten years or walked on your hands of course. :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Paul D wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:I never had any re-soled. the soled are in their words...

Hate to be argumentative but that is pure sales talk nonsense, anything that moves in contact with another surface is subject to a little thing called friction. Unless you stood still in them for ten years or walked on your hands of course. :Hat:
:laugh1: I think you could well be Wright, a lot of it is all sales talk....and I know all about sales talk having worked in the tackle trade on 3 separate occasions :Wink:

Stuart

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I wouldn't buy a pair with press studs as these tend to become unreliable and break over time rendering the wellies unusable.
Over engineered.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Kevin wrote:I wouldn't buy a pair with press studs as these tend to become unreliable and break over time rendering the wellies unusable.
Over engineered.
I think they're magnets Kevin, not press studs... :Hat:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Scott wrote:There has been some enquiries of late on here regarding posh wellies, well...

....my local Country Clothing and Tackle shop, John Norris of Penrith, have a great offer on at the moment; Top of the range Hunters at half price, I have to say they look the business, hadn't seen these before with the studs down the side;

I am actually a friend of James Norris (John's son) but I am in no way promoting this on his behalf, I genuinely felt I should share this good offer with my brothers of the angle....

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_148 ... -3688.html
Sorry Scott I didn't click on the link,just going off your post.

John Norris send me catalogues with offers of tackle and clothes.Some good offers, I recently bought a couple of brand new alloy Greys fly reels for around £12 each.
They send out a good Trout catalogue around about this time of the year,but im sure you know it mate.
:Hat:
edit,talking of catalogues a friend gave me the wild trout trust auction catalogue and I spy a couple of pieces of your art in it.
Good for you well done.

Mitchell324
Bleak

Post by Mitchell324 »

In my view and being a connoisseur of wellies, keeping sheep, walking dogs, fishing, and dancing! the best I've used are Dunlop Purofort's, hard wearing and cow proof too
I'm going, I'm going, where the water tastes like wine, gonna jump in the river and stay drunk all the time.
(Allan Wilson-Canned Heat- "GOING UP THE COUNTRY")

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Mitchell324 wrote:In my view and being a connoisseur of wellies, keeping sheep, walking dogs, fishing, and dancing! the best I've used are Dunlop Purofort's, hard wearing and cow proof too
:clap: yeear good old Dunlops, mine have done me for a few years and for the money could afford to buy enough pairs to see me out :Wink:

Stuart

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”