How many Barbour jackets???

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

How many Barbour jackets???

Post by Regular_Caster »

Hello chaps,

I thought this maybe a good place to ask, how many Barbour jackets might it be acceptable to own please?

I have had a verbal battle with the wife on a number of occasions that one of our wardrobes, with pretty much solely Barbours was a little excessive!!

I can't bear to part with all my old coats, some of them really well worn, and some repaired too, and others slightly more gently worn!

All of mine are pretty old generally now, and I think all bar two are made here in good old Blighty!

All the best

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Re: How many Barbour jackets???

Post by QuinetteCane »

When the whole room has the Appropriate aroma, sufficiency has been reached.

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

It certainly has if I open the wardrobe door if that counts?!

Also the inside of the cupboard door has wax/oil stains where they are so tightly packed in there!

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

This is a problem which effect’s numerous areas of a chap’s existence and concerns the thinking of She Who Must Be Obeyed.
It is not Barbour jackets which have caused me to come under attack but tweed jackets of which I possess a goodly number. Oft times I have been asked the question “Do I need all of those jackets?” Well obviously I do not need them but the simple fact is that I enjoy their company and they provide me with much comfort and warmth.

The jackets are but a peccadillo compared to my stock of traditional rods and reels. SWMBO can clearly see that a fellow may need a rod and reel to a fishing go and she may even concede that two rods and reels may have uses but more than that is beyond her imagination.

My take on this is that these items are like old friends to me and their mere possession warms the cockles of my heart providing comfort and good cheer to an old buffer in the autumn of his years.

My spouse may stare at me with that womanly look of contempt for the male species but hopefully I will maintain the moral strength to stand firm on this matter.

Better not mention books on and about fishing though. I have to sneak these in and hide them on the bookshelves hoping that she does not notice.

The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

Now maybe I need to remind my good lady wife that I could also have a huge collection of tweed too, which I don't have, only a thick and thin tweed coat, and a couple of jackets in my possession!
Maybe that will be my course of defence, pointing out how much worse it could actually be!

Of course maybe you have actually highlighted a shortcoming in my traditional wardrobe, so maybe I should be looking to add to the tweed side of things. Only trouble is, that I like my good old Cordings blazer, possibly too much to find another to wear as well!

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

When one finds ones back to the wall it is always useful to have a good reposte to hand, such as:-

"A fellow can never have enough books or fishing rods." For "books" and "fishing rods" you may say "Barbour Jackets," Tweed Jackets," John Wayne Memorabilia." etc, etc.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

Indeed, I am quite sure you're correct. Hence me currently sat looking at additional tweed.

Actually I'm glad that subject came up, as it reminded me of my old Cordings Covert coat I have with the old label that mentions the shop that used to be in Basingstoke. I must get that out on occasion when the weather turns brisker!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Last year, whilst redecorating the bedroom, my wife came in to inspect the progress and said those wardrobes need another coat or two.
I decided not to argue with the boss and quickly found myself a Barbour Durham and a nice lightweight tweed jacket. She was right of course, they fit in there beautifully.
It's always best to do as you're told.

Wal.

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

I need to lure my good lady wife into that same trap, ahhh the beauty of our wonderful language!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have just the one, that is all I need. It is about the only item in the house that I have one of.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”