Merino Wool Thermals Advice

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
T Myatt
Ruffe

Merino Wool Thermals Advice

Post by T Myatt »

Good Evening Gents,

With the weather turning more wintery by the day I've decided to buy some new Long Johns or in modern parlance Base Layer.

I've read up a bit and something made from Merino wool is what I want, the stuff I'm wearing at the moment is from M&S and has quite a high cotton content. Most of my winter fishing involves a fair bit of walking so I do build up a bit of perspiration hence taking the Merino wool route.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I've trawled the net and most of the stuff available seems a bit too "extreme sport", for me. I'm hoping that there's something a bit more traditional out there so any pointers would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Merino Wool Thermals Advice

Post by AshbyCut »

Firebird wrote:Remember that dreadful Damart?
:club: Wash your mouth out, Sir !!!!! Damart was positively luxurious compared to my Nana's hand knitted underpants, and ... worse still ... her hand knitted swimming trunks which looked fine when dry but the crotch sagged to the knees when wet ... however lovingly she made them !!! :shocked:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Firebird,

Thanks for your reply, sorry I meant traditional in style not material. What ever I end up with it will also cover my winter boat fishing so I doubt if I'll find it too hot!

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Try TK MAX I bought two sets last year the brand is XTM made from pure Australian Merino wool I wore them during a trip to Northern Sweden and they were excellent in a layering system.

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Thanks Das-Bolt, there's a TX MAX near me, I'll have a look.

Tony

Mitchell324
Bleak

Post by Mitchell324 »

Try any of the outdoor stores such as Cotwold outdoors, Go outdoors, etc. Hill walkers and mountaineers wear base layers all the time and they are going into areas that rivers freeze. I've a set made by lowe Alpine, which Ive used for a number of years, very breathable, and warm.
I'm going, I'm going, where the water tastes like wine, gonna jump in the river and stay drunk all the time.
(Allan Wilson-Canned Heat- "GOING UP THE COUNTRY")

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I got a merino bl top from a cycle company,super comfy and very warm.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/clothing/clothes/merino

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Chaps,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions I've now got a set of the XTM ones from TK MAX that Das-Bolt recommended, £40.00. They should do me as I doubt if I'll venture much north of Watford never mind Stockholm. Thanks again.

Tony

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

I'm sure they'll be fine but it can get a bit chilly around the Gap! :Chuckle:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Much cheaper alternative is a pair of super market brand jogging pants made from some devilish modern material. I bought a pair last week to wear under my waterproof trousers whilst fishing on me punt in freezing conditions. Kept me nice and toasty. Please shoot to kill if ever you see me in public wearing said jogging pants without waterproof over trousers ; for it will be a sure sign I have been bitten by a rabid dog several days earlier and now infectious!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”