I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Post by Marc »

I like the idea of dressing smart, not sure how warm that would be on a snowy river bank up here in the north though. I've decided 2016 is centre pin only year, I may add tie to that.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

There is a shooting and hunting dress code. At a horse show recently a girl was asked to leave the ring because she was not properly dressed, no jacket on a hot summer's day!

The dress code at the shoot is 'no jeans, hoodies or baseball caps'.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I wear a shirt, seldom a T shirt apart from indoors, and either Moleskin trousers,(nettle-proof I find) or a pair with loads of pockets!

Modern winter clothing is for me essential after pleurisy and pneumonia -- and a heart op!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Olly,

I think nettle and thistle proof trousers are essential, I usually wear thick tweed breeks that are lined, they are totally sting proof. I like to wear a shirt but in the heat of summer, tweed trousers and a cotton shirt are too hot. I have some light weight rip stock cotton trousers that Country Covers custom made to my requirements, they are nettle proof and look quite smart. :-)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have 3 X Deerhunter jackets, light, medium & heavy. 2 x Derhunter trousers , one pair with leather front. All are 100% water, wind & nettle proof!
Nice to really snug on a cold wintry day ------ yet to come!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Just had a look through some old photos and found these ones of Grandad Snape who was a keen bass fisher in Wales in the 40s and 50s cutting a bit of a dash in his cravat, regimental blazer, slacks and brogues - but I'm not too sure about the cap! :shocked:

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The baseball cap pre-dates the MkIV (possibly even split cane itself depending on which sources you decide to quote) so it is a really rather traditional design. As somebody who hates wearing hats I find it the least loathsome to wear. My fishing clothing is essentially my 'old, very comfortable and relaxed clothes'. Recently that included a pair of moleskins that had seen far, far better days. Eventually they fell apart and have been replaced by an equally venerable pair of jeans – like it or not, another traditional design classic!

Without wanting to appear confrontational can somebody explain the attraction of dressing up rather than down to fish?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Beresford wrote:The baseball cap pre-dates the MkIV (possibly even split cane itself depending on which sources you decide to quote) so it is a really rather traditional design. As somebody who hates wearing hats I find it the least loathsome to wear. My fishing clothing is essentially my 'old, very comfortable and relaxed clothes'. Recently that included a pair of moleskins that had seen far, far better days. Eventually they fell apart and have been replaced by an equally venerable pair of jeans – like it or not, another traditional design classic!

Without wanting to appear confrontational can somebody explain the attraction of dressing up rather than down to fish?
I agree with you Beresford.
Also I fail to understand the complete anti - attitude to denim jeans.
They are very practical, incredibly hardwearing, washable at very hot temperatures if necessary, last a very long time, available in many styles ans colours, and...............were patented by Levi Strauss in 1873.
Very traditional and very suited to fishing. :Cool:
Last edited by Julian on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Dressing up is part of everything. Suit for the office. Black Tie for film premieres. T shirt for the beach. Tweed for shooting. Hoodies and jeans for shoplifting. :-)

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Broadly speaking those are popularly accepted conventions. I don't think we expect or require fishermen today to wear tweed and plus fours, in fact particularly for fishing afloat they make an appalling choice of clothing.
Last edited by Beresford on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”