I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Julian
Salmon

Re: I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Post by Julian »

SofaSurfer wrote:Dressing up is part of everything. Suit for the office. Black Tie for film premieres. T shirt for the beach. Tweed for shooting. Hoodies and jeans for shoplifting. :-)
Not sure what planet you live on if you think that t- shirts are only for wearing at the beach and jeans for shoplifting.
I'm with about 90% of the rest of the developed world who wear these as normal casual attire.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Julian wrote:
SofaSurfer wrote:Dressing up is part of everything. Suit for the office. Black Tie for film premieres. T shirt for the beach. Tweed for shooting. Hoodies and jeans for shoplifting. :-)
Not sure what planet you live on if you think that t- shirts are only for wearing at the beach and jeans for shoplifting.
I'm with about 90% of the rest of the developed world who wear these as normal casual attire.
Same here, While I do enjoy using traditional tackle there are limits, sorry too say but "dressing up" is rather silly, bright red socks and waistcoat are not a good look, little wonder he never caught.
I do own and wear "country clothes" tweed, Barbour etc etc but I wear them in order to blend in not to look like I'm off to a fancy dress party. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Gentlemen, please ... before this thread, which was started merely to raise a smile, degenerates ...

The world (and the TFF) is big enough to accommodate us all ... even mildly eccentric old duffers such as I who enjoy gentle pleasures like donning certain types of clothing now and again ... and yes, not 'just' for angling. I am regularly to be seen in my local Tesco wearing deerstalker hat and full Norfolk jacket (and, I must say, have been complimented by ladies in the checkout queue for doing so).

Although I feel no need to justify myself, I wear things which I find comfortable, practical, economic, and above all .....

I am now of an age when I shall see fewer summers in the future than I have seen in the past ... and I shall simply do those things which make me and (hopefully) others smile.

On that note, I shall say goodnight and hold my peace. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Life is full of dress codes. Try getting into a night club wearing trainers. We 'dress up' every morning to conform with social norms. I'm going to a wedding on Saturday and I could wear anything but I will wear a suit and tie to conform and not spoil the happy couple's day. I've been refused entry to a golf course because I was wearing shorts, a swimming pool because I was wearing a running vest and a restaurant for not wearing a tie. Every Saturday our village is clogged up with cyclists all wearing vivid lycra. My Grandson starts 'big school' in September and will wear his uniform. Fishing is no different, tackle shops are full of fishing clothes.

GoldCrest

Post by GoldCrest »

Beresford wrote:The baseball cap pre-dates the MkIV (possibly even split cane itself depending on which sources you decide to quote) so it is a really rather traditional design. As somebody who hates wearing hats I find it the least loathsome to wear. My fishing clothing is essentially my 'old, very comfortable and relaxed clothes'. Recently that included a pair of moleskins that had seen far, far better days. Eventually they fell apart and have been replaced by an equally venerable pair of jeans – like it or not, another traditional design classic!

Without wanting to appear confrontational can somebody explain the attraction of dressing up rather than down to fish?

It's my opinion too beresford.I live in Germany - the land,where regulations are religion :Thumbsdown::
Therefore I dont want a dress-code on angling.Surely some anglers look like a soldier or a tramp,but for me it is important to be unobtrusive in the nature,because i am there only a guest.
Therefore I am not wearing a red shirt or a white cap.Otherwise i keep it with Friedrich der Grosse,who said : "Jeder soll nach seiner Fasson glücklich werden" means : "Everyone should be happy on his own shape or style".

Ronni

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

AshbyCut wrote:Gentlemen, please ... before this thread, which was started merely to raise a smile, degenerates ...

The world (and the TFF) is big enough to accommodate us all ... even mildly eccentric old duffers such as I who enjoy gentle pleasures like donning certain types of clothing now and again ... and yes, not 'just' for angling. I am regularly to be seen in my local Tesco wearing deerstalker hat and full Norfolk jacket (and, I must say, have been complimented by ladies in the checkout queue for doing so).

Although I feel no need to justify myself, I wear things which I find comfortable, practical, economic, and above all .....

I am now of an age when I shall see fewer summers in the future than I have seen in the past ... and I shall simply do those things which make me and (hopefully) others smile.

On that note, I shall say goodnight and hold my peace. :Hat:
Well said Mal. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Gentlemen, no offence meant on my part, I was only expressing my own opinion on the matter, please accept my apologies if I have offended :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

My mum always said.. just make sure you always wear a pair of clean underpants in case you have an accident whilst out.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Reedling wrote:My mum always said.. just make sure you always wear a pair of clean underpants in case you have an accident whilst out.
Good advice.
25 years ago I was wet caving in the Mendips wearing a wetsuit over my boxers. Naturally the wetsuit fills with muddy water and the boxers get dirty. I forgot to take a clean pair so wore them on the way home but we were in a serious accident on the M4 and I was air lifted to hospital. In A&E just as they were about to cut off my clothes I said "you know that saying about always wear clean underwear in case you have an accident, well....." :Chuckle: :Hide:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Brilliant, I bet your mum clipped your ear for not doing as you were told.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”