I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Post by AshbyCut »

As an illustration in "How To Fish" by J H R Bazley (which arrived in this mornings post) shows, I am apparently sartorially challenged when I step onto the bank ... as these fine gentlemen waiting for the start of a match show !!! I shall have to look to my laurels !!! (hurries off to ebay to search trilbies)

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Re: I shall have to look to my wardrobe !!!

Post by Julian »

Perhaps they were going to scare the fish into submission by their appearance :shocked:

Seiously though - different time, different idea of suitable attire for fishing
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Those were probably their oldest suits, of course, so best be hitting the charity shops, rather than Daks.
If you really must.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Most suitably attired i would say. Much smarter than the track suit, trainers and tee shirt brigade we have to suffer these days.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

RBTraditional wrote:Most suitably attired i would say. Much smarter than the track suit, trainers and tee shirt brigade we have to suffer these days.
Well maybe - but let's be realistic - if you went fishing dressed almost exactly as they were then, today, you would
look a bit of a .... well... ( choose your own words here)
I don't think its a question of how 'smart' now and I don't think it was in those days either - it was purely and is now what was and is seen as acceptable and just as importantly appropriate.
I would never go fishing in a tracksuit and rarely in trainers, but I'm certainly not dressed 'smart' when I go fishing.
However, as I do quite a lot of stalking carp, I do wear a suitable t-shirt that hopefully blends in with the background so that when its warm and I don't have a sweatshirt I avoid disturbing the fish. I also wear jeans - because they are very practical and durable - that is a fact - almost always with waterproof overtrousers, at least to start with, as I'm often fishing places with tall grass, wet, and overgrown banks. On my feet, most often wellington boots - again for the sheer practicality.
To top it off, a hat with a wide brim - I've several options depending on the circumstances, and, highly important - polaroid singlasses.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

TFB

Post by TFB »

I know, look how standards have fallen :Wink: :

...at least he managed a decent cravat :Cool:

If you feel comfortable fishing in a tweed suit and stiff collar, good for you - if you prefer the more casual approach, that's fine too.

Personally, just as the old cane rods and vintage reels add to the pleasure of angling, so the older style of dress adds to the occasion.

...I might even speculate that I've obtained permission to fish - wearing a tweed coat and tie etc :Hat: - in places where a tee shirt and combat trousers might have produced a different result?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

:Cool: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i think you should, as owner and md of precision rods you do have a postition to uphold
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Personally I'd love to see dress codes on certain fisheries like they have with other sports, archery, tennis, cricket spring to mind, as has been mentioned, it would only add to the traditional angling experience.

If I owned a fishery I think I'd implement one;

No baseball caps or trainers.
Tie or cravat essential.
No denim.
Breeks, plus 2s, plus 4s etc. preferred.

I could go on...

...Judging by the photos I've seen on here Mr AC would walk straight on to my imaginary fishery... :Hat:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have recently started taking a bit more care with my attire. I spent more than 20 years in the Navy and had to wear uniform daily. I think when I left, I rebelled against smart clothes and wearing a tie. Now that some time has passed, I have stopped wearing jeans and T shirts and returned to trousers and proper shirts
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”