Wader recommendation for my first ever pair.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bargee
Bleak

Re: Wader recommendation for my first ever pair.

Post by Bargee »

I have seriously waded summer and winter for over 50 years. Mostly in fast, deep and rocky north-country rivers and streams. I have used all types and qualities of waders and they have all been used HARD in rough, wild, thorny, barbed-wirery, stoney environments. The more expensive ones can offer better grip or 'breathability'. The cheaper ones have proved just as waterproof as the more expensive ones. Neoprene are marginally warmer in frosty weather but are much more restrictive to movement and bad if you need to do a lot of hiking (the river Tees has some long walks!). Some are tougher than others but all will pop or pierce eventually. Breathable ones don't seem to offer me any advantages (I still get soaked with sweat in 'em in summer but then, I suffer from hyperhydrosis).

In the end, they are all just big wellies. I now buy cheapo Ron Thompson chest jobs for about £40 from a local 'big chain store'. I repair any leaks with Aquasure as and when they happen. They last about 5 years of hard, rough use before the soles crack-up. Not pretty or fashionable but they work as good as owt and you can buy another rod or two with money saved over some top brands!

And a stout wading staff of the correct length should be mandatory in any deep or rocky situation...mine has a net on the end so is dual duty.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks to all for the information and advice.

I don't intend to go much deeper than my knees so I am thinking about getting a pair of these:

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/daiwa-e ... igh-waders
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I can thoroughly recommend these chaps:

http://www.fishingwaders.co.uk/index.htm

I think they set up when Dunlop closed their factory and moved production abroad. I've got a pair of their neoprene thigh waders which are excellent. The prices are reasonable too.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Storm in a Teacup
Minnow

Post by Storm in a Teacup »

Some of the lads I shoot with wear ocean waders. They get a lot of abuse on the foreshore all winter and last a good few seasons, not expensive either.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I bought another pair of chest waders from fishing waders as I needed a warmer pair for colder weather.They look to be very well made and as Sean stated are very reasonably priced.
Mark Davies

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”