Clothing

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
DontKnowMuch
Roach

Re: Clothing

Post by DontKnowMuch »

I've had to replace the cap I'm wearing in the photo.

A trip to the council recycling centre (tip) saw the disappearance of it from the back of the car when the council chaps kindly offered "take it easy mate, we'll sort ot for you". Unfortunately I'd forgotten that the cap was slung in the back from a recent fishing trip and it ended up in the council's skip.

It was getting on a bit and I thought it still looked half decent but obviously they considered it junk :confused: :hahaha:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

My Derby tweed shooting/keepers jacket has arrived (after a bit of a hiccough).
The sizing originally shown on the webpage was Amazon's standard, so I ordered a large (40 inch chest).
The coat arrived and would have made a good bivvy....it was huge. I contacted them and was told that they have their own size chart (which wasn't displayed). They thanked me for pointing out the error and agreed to refund my return postage. The replacement coat arrived within two days.

Nice material, a good fit across the shoulders and enough room for a winter jumper. The neck flap may be a bit tight if you are anything bigger than a 15 collar, but it isn't really necessary. A good firm brass zip, as opposed to the usual plastic. What's more it is made in England :hat: For the money it seems like a good buy. The same coat can be obtained from the same company (using a different name) for those of you who have ebay (based in Glasgow).

Only time will tell if it lasts as long as my old wax jacket.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

My standard fishing attire normally includes;

- vintage pendleton shirt
- barbour international jacket
- pair of old levi's 501's
- walking boots

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Barbour must be loving all the free advertising - so here's some more: I sport a dilapidated Northumbria (perfect for hiding in when the weather turns inclement and for tucking bits and pieces into the game pockets), usually accompanied by a tattersall check shirt (the older and softer the better - often these have to be rescued from Mrs. VFC's attempts to "update" my wardrobe). Old woolly-pully (the better to catch hooks on), jeans and hikin boots (still breathable but no longer waterproof I fear!) complete the ensemble for most coarse fishing. Fly fishing attire is pretty similar but with a thin waistoat for bits and pieces replacing the jumper, and olive cotton trews in sweltering weather. Hat wise its either my "lucky fishing hat" (potency still under review) - a tweed bucket hat from Donegal c. 1978 or a straw number that is close to being a trilby/ panama (we've dubbed it a "Nicaragua" for this reason, also because an American tried to nick it one day and claimed it was his!).

GOS - I wish I was flash enough to sport a Cordings s/j while fishing: mine is still saved for "best"!

Like most on here I think I've given up caring what I look like - and besides I rarely fish anywhere near another angler these days.
Jim

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

My favourite bit of clothing for fishing is a Lite felt hat made by Christies, keeps the rain out and the sun off. I would appreciate some advice on a decent pair of wellingtons or field boots though as walking through long wet grass tends to put a dampener on things.

Bread Flake

Post by Bread Flake »

You won't go wrong with these http://www.muckbootcompany.com/men/outd ... fault.aspx

I used to get cold feet, uncomfortable, slip around etc etc - these have revolutionised my fishing all year round.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

My Muck Boots split after 18 months and I bought a pair of these to replace them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-NEOPREN ... 7dbc96bc06

Excellent value
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

When it comes to Barbour jackets I don't think you can beat the "Lundy"...superb item for the bank or the pub for that matter....funnily enough I don't wear Barbour at work anymore...too bloody expensive to ruin with cow muck or getting caught on barbed wire!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I always coveted one of those ex-RAF sheepskin-lined flying jackets you used to see advertised in the Sunday newspapers in the '60s. The cost was beyond my wildest dreams then and you can't get 'em now!

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Thanks for the advice on the footwear, I'll check them out. I remember my dad having those sheepskin jerkins that RAF groundcrew used to wear, it used to live in the boot of his car, I'm sure he had more than one but then again he was in the RAF Regiment and he was always very adept at accumulating all sorts of useful bits of kit.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”