Clothing

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Clothing

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Do you have a favourite item?

I know the flat cap is my favoutire item, but I am looking to extend my vintage wardrobe. not really sure what to go for though, maybe a brown waxed jacket would be a good starting point.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Clothing

Post by Snape »

Not too fussed actually.

Usually just old brown/dark green clothes, Hunter field boots (neoprene lined - essential), maybe my 1980s green Barbour jacket - now very sad looking.
I don't really do hats.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Jeans, t shirt, wooly jumper, trainers..... Not so vintage in my dress I'm afraid! Although I do have a tweed bomber jacket that comes out for carping (camo!!) And an old polish army jacket that does the rounds too. And a waxed floppy hat!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

But definitely not branded carp/match stuff. I'm not endorsed, so I'm not advertising!!! :wink: Maybe an allcocks or b James t-shirt tho... Although it should really be just a shirt!! :lol:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Much like St.John, I'm not so into Vintage clothing as I am vintage tackle.

I pretty much wear Green or brown….err stuff… but have also been known to wear the odd Camo T-shirt of which I am trying to brake the habit! :lol:

As for hats, I do have a Straw Fedora for the summer and a plain green wide brimmed hat for the Autumn. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Choice on the hats. Have a straw fosters hat (9.99 with 10th free cans of beer! Shame it wad water masquerading as beer) for the summer. I must say, I'm rather partial to a wax jacket, although all of mine need waterproofing! Hunters are always nice...
Last edited by St.John on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

There's a fine line between sporting traditional attire and looking a right berk. I can just about get away with a regular tweed sports jacket by Cordings, moleskin or cord trousers and a felt trilby or panama by Lock & Co, but not all at once. I gave up on the Norfolk jacket. Breeks are a step too far - keep them for the grouse moor if you must.

I used to have a superb pair of boots by Dubarry - the short ones they don't seem to make anymore - which were cool in summer yet extremely warm in winter, even without thick socks. I wore them out several times over, but had to throw them away in the end.

Barbours are pretty safe (I have six - three Solways, a Northumbria, a Gamefair and a Longshoreman - don't ask why!) but the hardest thing to find nowadays are good roll-neck jumpers with raglan sleeves. (I'm probably indicating a disconcerting attention to detail here...)

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I always wear one of the John Wilson waistcoats. I prefer the original corduroy one I have in green but it was getting a bit snug ( I am sure these things shrink with age :roll: ) so I have bought a new one. I left it in the garage with my kit and a mouse has eaten right through it. It now sports a large patch on the back.
I find the waistcoats great for stalking rivers! Apart from that I normally wear old cords and a pair of wellies.

I did buy all of the latest camo gear of course but now I can't find it. Sorry :oops:

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Forgot about those. I have two olive green Wilson waistcoats (brilliant but sadly discontinued - like everything worth having) plus an old Barbour one for fly fishing (it has a large sheepskin fly patch which still alarms me whenever I see it out of the corner of my eye - I think I'm being attacked by a giant furry mould) and a Wychwood one.

I probably need help.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

You'll be fine mate, just fine..

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”