Clothing

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bread Flake

Re: Clothing

Post by Bread Flake »

SeanM wrote:My Muck Boots split after 18 months and I bought a pair of these to replace them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-NEOPREN ... 7dbc96bc06

Excellent value
I'm on my 3rd pair of Muckboots only because I've worn them out. They didn't even look like them splitting on me, absolutely awesome and have had Chameau and Aigle before too - you didn't buy them off eBay did you Sean? There's some dodgy stuff out there.

Bread Flake

Post by Bread Flake »

Paul Boote wrote:Traditional Angler's Clothing, eh?

Let me think back to the very late 1950s & 1960s (child) and 1970s (teenager / early twenties), to the time when fishing was "traditional".
The present day will be "traditional" in years to come Paul - how on earth can you say to the time when fishing was traditonal - as if any account of any fishing thereafter wasn't?

Bread Flake

Post by Bread Flake »

At the end of the day, you're preaching "tradition" on an internet forum...

Spouting Latin won't get you out of this one either :ok:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Bread Flake wrote:
SeanM wrote:My Muck Boots split after 18 months and I bought a pair of these to replace them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-NEOPREN ... 7dbc96bc06

Excellent value
I'm on my 3rd pair of Muckboots only because I've worn them out. They didn't even look like them splitting on me, absolutely awesome and have had Chameau and Aigle before too - you didn't buy them off eBay did you Sean? There's some dodgy stuff out there.
Nope bought them from Chatsworth when I nipped round to the neighbouurs for a cuppa!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hardly traditional clothing, rather something with a traditional theme. I could resist doing a selfie!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Tans coming along nicely Bob. :tea:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Since I began my traditional journey my clothes changed too i now no longer look like a Terry Hearn clone.
I now look and I quote the wife "Like a homeless person"
I quite like my brown moleskin trousers and brown wooly jumper I brought from eBay and not forgetting my tweed cap!!!!

OrangeJonny
Dace

Post by OrangeJonny »

My favourite is my Barbour Spey jacket.

Before Barbour made the Spey into a short wading jacket, they made a version which was the same length as a Bedale, but with waterproof lined sleeves and bottom 1/4, for those days when you need to dip your hands in.

At 5 years old it's just wearing in nicely.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I just received my first set of stockingfoot chest waders,Greys strata with boots and I got a deal on the greys wading jacket also.
In front of the mirror I look like a real sport,rather than a scarecrow with a fly rod..
Does anyone use these kind of waders in salt water?any advice apart from just washing them off after in fresh water.
I was wondering if the salt damaged the boots.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Davyr wrote:I always coveted one of those ex-RAF sheepskin-lined flying jackets you used to see advertised in the Sunday newspapers in the '60s. The cost was beyond my wildest dreams then and you can't get 'em now!

Davyr,
You can still buy the RAF pattern Irvine flying jacket. The cost remains beyond most peoples' wildest dreams. I had beautiful American pattern B3 flying jacket that I preferred to the RAF version until it got chewed up by a dog. Lots of cheap OK(ish) ones about but the really well made ones take a bit more hunting down and are an awful lot more expensive.

Kevin – I'm not sure but I'd definitely ring Greys and ask them.

Clothes – to be honest I don't feel the need to 'dress-up' to go fishing. If I'm carping I tend to wear my gardening clothes, i.e. whatever my oldest clothes are at that time plus a faded green/brown long sleeve thin jumper. My Barbour Gamefair dates from 1975 and is a much repaired hand-me-down. I rarely take it as I prefer my more modern Wychwood jacket designed for boat fishing. When I'm fly fishing afloat I take the Wychwood jacket and trousers that are really waterproof. They have neoprene cuffs to stop water running down your arm when your casting in the rain. The thing with being in a boat is there isn't un umbrella to hide under so clothing has to really be properly waterproof. This modern waterproof clothing is much thinner and lighter and far more comfortable. It still looks pretty traditional.

Like one or two others I don't like wearing hats, I never have done. I find them all irritating itchy things. As my hair is departing I now have to wear one and the least annoying design for me is a good quality baseball cap – a very traditional design!

I have a pair of very traditional (1950s) looking prescription polarised sunglasses.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”