Sundridge Igloo Mark 2 - RIP

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Troydog
Tench

Sundridge Igloo Mark 2 - RIP

Post by Troydog »

For the best part of thirty years I have been the proud owner of the above "heavy duty breathable" garment, which consists of a one piece bib braces and trousers. It used to have a jacket but that had to be taken out of service five years ago.

Could anyone please recommend a replacement garment suitable for the river bank in all, except warm weathers, please?
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Sundridge Igloo Mark 2 - RIP

Post by Black Prince »

I have the Korum bib and brace but I wear shooting jackets mine is from the deer hunter range handles most weather down to minus 21c with the fleece zipped in hood up completely out of the weather loads of pockets too :mrgreen: mike

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Bought the girlfriend a pair of fir lined Fox Chunk Sherpa Tec Salopettes for Christmas last year, the old romantic that I am. She loves them and I rather like seeing her in them!
Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too wear Deerhunter - several different weight jackets - plus a couple of pairs of winter trousers. Really dry and toasty especially with neoprene lined wellingtons! Bought them after suffering from pneumonia - and never looked back.

Reduced prices can be found on that well know auction site.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well thank you gentlemen. I had never heard of Deerhunter - but then things take longer in Hereford. I've been online and they seem to have a great range of clothing but how do you buy this sort of thing online? Its only when you put it on that you can tell whether it fits or whether you need to buy a thermal waistcoast for additional warmth to the jacket and so on. I see that the HO is in Sussex but I am not sure that is actually a shop as such.

As for the Fox Chunk Sherpa Tec Salopettes I watched the video and it looks very good but the reviews were very critical about problems customers were having with sizes. I guess Stour Otter that you got your girlfriend fitted up in a shop rather than just buying online?

Incidentally, I saw on the video that the Salopettes trousers have a zip and Velcro fastening at the bottom of both legs; my Sundridge suit has the same but once it gets caked in mud, the zip doesn't work and the Velcro fastenings just flap about. I guess that must be the same on any suit.
John Harding

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have found that hunting clothing is much better VFM than the ones made for angling.

Remember that Deerhunter sizes can be Continental ones I always order 1 or 2 sizes bigger. I then can grow into them! And I can wear an under garment, long johns, padded waistcoat or jacket, under the clothing if too cold and can remove them if too hot.

Some jackets are lined, some are not lined. Wearing unlined means that it can be worn all year round - well almost!

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I’d go for the larger sizes and then do what I did eat all the pork pies and crisps you can get wont take long to fit snugly :Tongue: :Hahaha: Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That is why I buy bigger - I love my grub! Also I can easily move in the garments - no restrictions.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Troydog wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:43 pm As for the Fox Chunk Sherpa Tec Salopettes I watched the video and it looks very good but the reviews were very critical about problems customers were having with sizes. I guess Stour Otter that you got your girlfriend fitted up in a shop rather than just buying online?
Yes Troydog, Ashley from Ringwood Tackle was more than happy to do a personal fitting, much to the amusement of one or two customers!

Stour Otter
Last edited by Stour Otter on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well that is a beautifully coloured chub I must say. Yes I guess that being fitted is ideal but Ashley in Ringwood is a bit of a treck. Mind you we catch a boat next Thursday from Portsmouth so perhaps Shazza would be happy with a detour prior to embarkation. I have had a nice email from a Deerhunter man and he is happy for me to order on sales or return.

It is very comforting to know that if the garments are too big I can go for one or two more portions of fish and chips, Indian Takeaways, pork pies and crisps, followed by apple crumble and cream. I could make a habit of getting some four pint plastic jugs of Wye Valley Butty Bach on a regular basis. This clothes shopping lark which I very rarely do (30 Years since the Sundridge purchase) doesn't sound so bad after all....
John Harding

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”