Waterproofs

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
George387
Crucian Carp

Re: Waterproofs

Post by George387 »

Dutch military gortex, excellent stuff, used to buy it from the dutch when I served beside them in Germany, same camouflage pattern as our stuff but far better and has pockets inside & out.
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Wandering Mark

Post by Wandering Mark »

Thanks for the info so far. Think I'll try the army surplus route first. I had been thinking of trying to reproof the coat with some nikwax but haven't had much luck with it in the past. I'll have to wait a month or so as all my spare cash is going into the car fund.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mostly an ancient (25 years +) and very tatty Barbour Border jacket plus a Barbour waxed cotton hat if it is getting a bit more serious and finally a pair of green waterproof overtrousers from my local countrywide farmers store but only if it turns into a monsoon!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Churchyard Yew

Post by Churchyard Yew »

I use Berghaus, Craghopper, North Face and Paramo waterproof clothing in nice rustic shades. Underneath, Craghopper Kiwi trousers and shirts are excellent. On the head, a Tilley hat.

Churchyard Yew

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Dickies Fieldtex is good value. Comes in Olive Green and they make a set of over trousers to match the jacket. Relatively cheap and effective. An alternative is an Army poncho, this will cover you and your gear, can be used as something to sit on if you are travelling light and makes a passable unhooking mat.

Barbours are nice and trad but I don’t find them as breathable as they are cracked up to be and need regular waxing to keep them waterproof. In the summer they are also too heavy and bulky to stuff into your rucksack on the off-chance of a downpour.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

perchbasher wrote:Barbours are nice and trad but I don’t find them as breathable as they are cracked up to be .
Unless I've missed some technological development, I don't think (as I mentioned in my post earlier in the thread) that Barbours have ever claimed to be breathable. In fact, there's absolutely no way that they could be, depending as they do on non-breathing wax!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I have a tatty old barbour, a barbour waxed hat with a very wide brim ( excellent), and recently brought a pair of TFgear waterproof overtrousers - which are excellent and can also be worn on their own - and yes they are camo pattern/coloured.
I now do a lot of stalking carp on overgrown banks of old lakes/pools, and these waterproofs (as the long grasses are hardly ever dry this summer) along with a Shimano tribal t-shirt do help with the task of concealing me from wary carp.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Trakker 3in1 trousers like salopettes fleece zippy and thick coat, very very warm and waterproof
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Ever thought of an Inverness cape?

Sparky

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sparky wrote:Ever thought of an Inverness cape?

Sparky
With a deer stalker as well Sherlock?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”